cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 10

What does "LAST SYNC" actually mean?

Jump to solution

Could someone answer a question for me-- what does "LAST SYNC" *actually* mean?

Does it mean:

(A) We just *tried* to talk to the device, regardless of the result

(B) We just *actually did* talk to the device, honest and truly!

Why it matters is because I want to generate a report that indicates the last time we *know* the device was chugging away and actually talking to us, as opposed to the last time we *tried* to talk to it, irrespective of the results.

John

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 14

Dev has indicated that the answer is more like option (B):

"Last Sync" is the latest successful synchronization, or update, to the database. It doesn't really tell you what it successfully updated, just that it updated something.

HTH,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Level 13

Here is the description I picked from the OrionAdminsitratorGuide.

LastSync

Time and date of last Node/Interface/Volume database and memory synchronization.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Yes, but that is an ambiguous definition.

After the "Time and date of last Node/Interface/Volume database and memory synchronization", do you know:

(A) The machine is actually there and talking

or

(B) We gave it a whack

??

0 Kudos
Level 13

"LastSync" value keeps updating every time a sync runs in the database.It does not store all the past values.In a simple explanation,it erases and updates with new date and time in the Nodes table.

When a Node is deleted then it would not have a LastSync value to validate.If the Node is present then LastSync value can be used as a condition to validate.

Let me know if this explanation helps.

0 Kudos
Level 10

No it doesn't-- but thanks for the attempt 🙂

"Last Sync" could mean one of two things,

(A) An attempt to contact a system-- a node-- irrespective of the outcome

or

(B) Actually talking to the node, an affirmative outcome.

So in the case of (A) it means "the last time I tried" and in the case of (B) the last time I succeeded.

So I would like to know, which does it mean, A or B?

John

0 Kudos
Level 14

Dev has indicated that the answer is more like option (B):

"Last Sync" is the latest successful synchronization, or update, to the database. It doesn't really tell you what it successfully updated, just that it updated something.

HTH,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Level 10

So, I guess my next question should be, is there any field that does indicate the last successful communication with the node?

0 Kudos
Level 12

Actually, there is an alert for when a node has not been polled in 5 tries, and one for when the last poll time is more than 10 minutes old. I also see one that alerts if the polling engine has not updated the database in 10 minutes.

Will any of these help?

0 Kudos
Level 10

Well, what I am aiming for-- what I'd like, is a report showing the last time the node was successfully contacted. It could either be an absolute date/time (time stamp), or else a relative time (i.e. from "now", meaning when the report was generated). The goal being to have an understanding for how long a system has been down / unused. In our environment, in which we have a lot of projects and developers, it is not at all unusual for a system to go down-- get turned off-- due to a pause in a project or whenever a developer (or development team) is temporarily through with a server. And so that information would be a desirable feature for us.

However, while writing this-- your message has given me an idea, we could use the alert to update a custom field with the date/time, which while static, would at least give us a general idea, which is all we're looking for in that regard anyway.

Ideally of course, it would be nice if someone would just notify us when they're shutting down a server, but hey, if it was that easy, I'd probably be out of a job! 🙂

John

0 Kudos
Level 12

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for. It uses the event log so you will need to ensure that you are keeping it for long enough.

SELECT Nodes.Caption AS NodeName,

MAX(Events.EventTime) AS MAX_of_Event_Time

FROM 

Nodes INNER JOIN (Events INNER JOIN EventTypes Events_EventTypes ON (Events.EventType = Events_EventTypes.EventType)) ON (Nodes.NodeID = Events.NetworkNode)

(

(Nodes.Status = '2')

)

GROUP BY Nodes.Caption

0 Kudos
Level 12

So, what does it mean if the Last Sync time is some ridiculously high number (in red)? What are the possible causes?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Level 12

From my experience a high Last Sync value means that there is a problem with your database and your poller(s) are not communicating with it so no new data is being stored

0 Kudos
Level 13

John, I will keep you posted with answers soon after discussing with Dev.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Thank you, appreciate your time!

John

0 Kudos