cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

What do you to be notified of an outage

In parallel with NPM what do you use to be notified in the event of an outage?  SNMP traps?  Or rely only on Orion to determine if an interface/circuit is down?  If your Orion console is minimized on your desktop how do you know if there is a problem? 

Email is not a good option when monitoring a global network with many events throughout the day.  Mobile device pages for every event?

4 Replies
Level 9

We have hundreds of circuits globally.  We do not have a NOC per say.  We have engineers globally that run monitor systems at our desks.  If we are working on something or reading something in another application we may not know of an outage unless we look at the Orion console only.  Email alerts are the same as if the email client is minimized then you do not know you have mail.

We currently use another SNMP program that is windows based only that can receive and report traps to all users logged in.  The application will pop up a window and play a sound until acknowledged.  This is something Orion can not do with traps.  Traps are a must then waiting for Orion to detect a circuit down and or other systems like Environmental where if a failure happens there may be multiple alarms from a device only only an SNMP get would show the last alarm only.

We need a platform independent system that can alert all users of outages/event that can accept and be able to report/display SNMP traps in meaningful alerts.  Sending a raw SNMP trap (all variables) to a mobile phone will not work.

0 Kudos
Level 9

Any other ideas/methods?  Getting paged on every circuit will get out of hand and alarms will be missed.

0 Kudos

If you have circuits going down that often or multiple at once, it sounds like you have a bigger issue.

Pardon my asking but how many circuits are we talking about?

0 Kudos

We have a 24/7 NOC that watches the big screen.  However, for events that are important to me, I have Orion Text me.

0 Kudos