This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

What are the consequences for monitoring all my interfaces on my nodes running SQL Express? Will my Solarwinds or Database crash and how can I prevent that?

How do I check the tables as well? I would like to see which tables are taking up most of the space so far.  I'm wondering due to all the traffic all my devices are running on a daily basis that there will be a lot of logs and/or data which will eventually lead up to something bad and would like to prevent or minimize that.

• This would really depend on how many nodes you would be monitoring along with how many elements of those nodes, interfaces are elements, would be monitored as well. Another determining factor would be how often you poll the devices for data. SQL Express has a DB size limit of 10GB if memory serves and once that's reached I don't believe you'll be able to enter new rows into any tables.

When you installed SolarWinds Orion you also installed the database manager app. This app can connect to the DB and tell you the size and row count of every table in the SolarWinds Orion DB. Just right click the name of the DB and choose database details.

pastedImage_0.png

• dkeyser,

Thank you for the feedback.  How do I get to the table you showed above?

• You will need to open the 'Database Manager' on one of your polling engines. This is located in the start menu or start tile of windows. Once there click 'Add default server' and expand the SQL DB instance that is loaded in the left hand tree. Right click the name of your Orion DB and click 'Database Details'. In the right hand portion of the app you'll see two tabs, one labeled 'Properties' that shows the DB size, index size, total space, DB owner, etc. The next tab is 'Tables' and this will provide table size and row counts from the image above.

• Hi dkeyser,

Thank you.  I was able to locate the table.  After seeing which table is taking up the most space and/or really big, how do I go about minimizing the size?

• If it's traps/trapvarbinds or Syslog you could potentially delete rows you don't need directly using SQL statements. If it's other data like CPU, Memory, Volume, etc then you'd want to adjust your retention and polling settings to poll less frequently and hold less data. Then the nightly maintenance will remove any data that does not meet the retention settings. These retention settings are in 'All Settigns' then in 'Polling Settings'. Do note that detail statistics are averaged up into hourly and hourly are averaged up into daily. Daily is dropped after the retention period has expired. So allowing the system to average your data sooner will reduce the amount of data in the DB but you also lose data definition due to it being an aggregate.