This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

What Registry Field does WMI Polling look for to populate Nodes.Contact?

Hello All,

Our NPM is setup to send emails to the contact field polled by SNMP sysContact.0 for ICMP i can do UPDATE NODES SET Contact = 'Name@host.com' but for WMI polling (Hyper-V) the Contact field is never populated.

I understand that WMI polls the Location from the Registry which is defined by the Domain Controller Location group... but what is the WMI poller looking for to populate Contact?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ Netlogon\Parameters\DynamicSiteName = Nodes.Location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ Netlogon\Parameters\??????? = Nodes.Contact

• As far as I know, SolarWinds does not populate the Contact field for any WMI-polled nodes. It is only populated when SNMP polling is used and it pulls the data from these registry entries in Windows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\SNMP\Parameters\RFC1156Agent\sysLocation = Nodes.Location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\SNMP\Parameters\RFC1156Agent\sysContact = Nodes.Contact

I tested manually putting data in the Contact field of a WMI node but the node rediscovery (default every 30minutes) overwrote this with a blank entry.

An alternative option would be using the SNMP contact field along with a node custom property that contains the relevant contact details. In the NPM alerting, reference both the SNMP contact field and the new custom property in the message. The alert message will contain contact information from either field (or both if they're both populated). If you are using them for email addresses you could put the variables in the To (or CC/BCC) field: e.g.  ${Node.Contact}; ${Node.WMIContact}.  It will populate with polled SNMP information and/or email addresses you have configured for your WMI nodes.  Note that the email address method may cause an issue for nodes that have more than email information in the field.

• So verses Polling the Node for the "Contact" i would just use the Custom Fields (located in the same nodes table) for "WMI Contact" and populate it thru Solarwinds.

That works.  I would rather have the NODE tell me who the contact is, but this is a few boxes (Hyper-V) so manual process is fine.