This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

What Dependencies are Implicit?

We just got SolarWinds NPM for our network.  Our network is full of WAN dependencies, so I am setting them up, but I need some clarification.  Before I create a bunch of unnecessary dependencies, I need to know what are already implicit?  What Nodes and Interfaces will automatically become Unreachable without an explicitly defined dependency?  It is a live network, so I do not have the freedom to experiment to derive my own answers.

If a node is set to Unreachable as the member of a Child group whose dependency has been triggered:

1. Do the interfaces of that same node also become Unreachable?
  2. Do the dependencies for which that node is a Parent also trigger?
  3. Do the dependencies for which any interfaces of that node happen to be Parents also trigger?

Thanks,

Phil.

• The only implicit dependency is the interfaces. So when a node goes down, the interfaces are marked as unreachable and you'll only get a notification for the node going down. This is automatic. The rest of the dependencies you need to create.

If a node is a parent for other nodes and it goes down, the other nodes will be marked as unreachable (inc the interfaces) and you'll only get a notification for the parent.

I hope that answers your questions.

• superfly99 wrote:

If a node is a parent for other nodes and it goes down, the other nodes will be marked as unreachable (inc the interfaces) and you'll only get a notification for the parent.

You answered my first breakdown.  I need deeper clarification on the dependency hierarchy.

My dependency parents are not nodes, but normally groups of interfaces, or a single interface, the children of which are nodes.  I am asking if the child nodes' interfaces are included (which you answered I think), and any dependency for those interfaces from that secondary node also included.

Here is an example of one set of dependencies:

Parent A - group of interfaces (GRE tunnels) - all must go down (worst) for isolation

Child A - group of nodes dependent on those tunnels

Parent B - interface on a node from Child A group

Child B - another node not already included in Child A group

If all the interfaces in Parent A group go down, triggering the first dependency--I have your answer that the interfaces for Child A nodes would also become unreachable--does the node of Child B (and, I assume, its interfaces) also become unreachable?  Should I include the Child B node in the Child A group, or do the dependencies cascade correctly?

Would this cascade to a further dependency?

Thanks,

Phil.

• If Parent A goes down, then Child A would become unreachable. And Child B will also become unreachable as Parent B has become unreachable due to Parent A going down.

If Parent A goes down, then all the interfaces on Child A and Child B will also become unreachable. This dependency is automatic.

Hope that helps.