Re: Weird Juniper Ping Problem

Great Nexicom--

Thx for updating the community.

M

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Thanks - we can do tcpdump directly on the Juniper switch (using one of them that the problem appears on).  It shows the icmp request come in and the echo response go back out.  I will double check the ARP condition when this occurs again.  Appreciate it...

Paul

0 Kudos
Level 14

Try changing the size of the data packet that gets sent.  You can do this under the NPM Polling Settings/ICMP Data.  I've seen odd issues before where the default text is either not big enough or is too large.  It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, but it happens.  Mess around with smaller and larger sizes of text data to see if that is the issue.

Also, does the behavior occur at a certain time of day consistently?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Various times.. happens roughly every 10 days ... but that varies too.

Changed the size of the data packet and made no difference unfortunately.

Try changing the size of the data packet that gets sent.  You can do this under the NPM Polling Settings/ICMP Data.  I've seen odd issues before where the default text is either not big enough or is too large.  It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, but it happens.  Mess around with smaller and larger sizes of text data to see if that is the issue.

Also, does the behavior occur at a certain time of day consistently?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Hi There!

Did you find a solution to this problem? I guess I have the same issue as descibed in this post. I also have many juniper 4200 switches. Is this related?

The weird thing is that once the problem happens, Orion is unable to ping two or three devices. To make these devices reappear again, you only have to ping them from your workstation... and there they come!

Any idea?

Thx!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

No solution yet found to this issue.  We can always ping the remote Juniper switch from a workstation but not from the solarwinds server itself when this occurs.

Yes, when it happens it is very predictable - at least a few Juniper EX switches will not be pingable at first, then after many hours they will become pingable again.  After the first few switches are responsive again, then another "batch" of switches will go into the same state.  This is occuring to us on Juniper EX2200, EX3200 and EX4200 switches and no other Juniper based hardware is effected.

From the Juniper EX switch, we can run a packet trace that proves the ping is reaching the switch and that the switch is responding back with an echo - but on the windows 2008 server we only see the ping go out and not come back (it's dropping at the Windows box for some reason).  Turning off the firewall doesn't help - we have tried.

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

I should have added that we have engaged Microsoft and they have come up with no answers on the dropped ping.  We have tested another monitoring solution (which doesn't require ping) and no issues.  Also, during the time that the ping stops responding we are able to still get SNMP based data from the switches.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

what did you find in your arp tables during these events?

I *believe* we had this issue on a lot of HP dlXXX G7s that were shipping with a newer broadcom card. We swapped out to another nic and the issues went away. The only issues I saw during my events were missing arps during the event. Our SEs swapped NICs after I showed them that so I didnt get to dig much deeper

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Thanks for reminding me - we were going to order new NIC cards and see if that helped with this issue.  This is something we haven't tried yet but will definately and report back....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Looks like I also have Broadcom onboard cards mounted on a IBMX3650 machine. The NIC model is BCM5709C. Driver version is 5.2.17.0 (2009-12-28). It seems that the latest driver version is 14.4.8.4, which was released on march 18th 2011. Did you tried to update the driver?

0 Kudos