cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Webpage error: 40

I performed a clean install of 8.5. Database located on separate server (Win2003 - SQL 2005) from the installation. DB builds correctly. NPM works correctly. When trying to access the webpage I get the following error:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Line 39: </table>
Line 40:
Line 41: <div runat="server" visible="<%$ Code: SolarWinds.Orion.Web.DAL.WebSettingsDAL.FirstTime %>" style="margin-left: 100px;">
Line 42: You can log in with the User ID <strong>Admin</strong> and no password.<br /><br />
Line 43: You should set a password for the Admin account after you log in.<br />

Source File: e:\InetPub\SolarWinds\Orion\Login.aspx    Line: 41

Stack Trace:

SqlException (0x80131904): An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)]
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +734851
System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +188
System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(Boolean& useFailoverPartner, Boolean& failoverDemandDone, String host, String failoverPartner, String protocol, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean aliasLookup) +820
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +628
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +170
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection) +359
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options) +28
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject) +424
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject) +66
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject) +496
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +82
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +105
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +111
SolarWinds.Orion.Common.DatabaseFunctions.OpenNewDatabaseConnection() +480
SolarWinds.Orion.Web.DAL.WebSettingsDAL.Get(String settingName) +32
SolarWinds.Orion.Web.DAL.WebSettingsDAL.get_FirstTime() +17
ASP.orion_login_aspx.__BuildControl__control5() in e:\InetPub\SolarWinds\Orion\Login.aspx:41
ASP.orion_login_aspx.__BuildControl__control3(Control __ctrl) in e:\InetPub\SolarWinds\Orion\Login.aspx:8
System.Web.UI.CompiledTemplateBuilder.InstantiateIn(Control container) +12
ASP.orion_masterpage_master.__BuildControlContentPlaceHolder1() +113
ASP.orion_masterpage_master.__BuildControlaspnetForm() +125
ASP.orion_masterpage_master.__BuildControlBody() +128
ASP.orion_masterpage_master.__BuildControlTree(orion_masterpage_master __ctrl) +102
ASP.orion_masterpage_master.FrameworkInitialize() +34
System.Web.UI.UserControl.InitializeAsUserControlInternal() +31
System.Web.UI.MasterPage.CreateMaster(TemplateControl owner, HttpContext context, VirtualPath masterPageFile, IDictionary contentTemplateCollection) +1978592
System.Web.UI.Page.get_Master() +48
System.Web.UI.Page.ApplyMasterPage() +18
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +543

I opened a case and was told it was a SQL problem.  Suggestions provided by SW support

Update for Case #17571 - "Orion Error Web Console"

Doug,

Error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Doug, this is going to be a SQL issue and I am sending you some info that I got from doing some research for you, we like going that extra mile for our customers even when its not our issue. Here you go!

You should follow steps below to resolve this issue.

1. check the SQL Server Errorlog to make sure SQL Server is now listening on TCP/IP and confirm which port it is listening on. Usually 1433. In the Errorlog, you will see several lines that discuss what SQL Server is listening on. Below is an example:

2006-01-04 01:41:07.65 server SQL server listening on 10.254.1.150: 1433. <--Shows the IP Address and the port.

2006-01-04 01:41:07.65 server SQL server listening on 127.0.0.1: 1433. <--Shows another IP Address and the port.

2006-01-04 01:41:07.69 server SQL server listening on TCP, Shared Memory, Named Pipes.

2006-01-04 01:41:07.69 server SQL Server is ready for client connections

2, Make sure on Windows XP that the firewall is not blocking that port.

3, go to your client machine and run the client network configuration tool (cliconfg.exe) Make sure TCP/IP is enabled, click properties and make sure the port number is the same one as SQL Server is listening on. Here you can enable NP or disable client NP as well.

Once both the client and the server are using TCP/IP with the same port number and the firewall on server machines is not blocked, you should be able to connect.

Hope this helps.

Also, if this still doesnt fix ur problem , try these tips

Enable the TCP/IP protocol using the Surface Area Configuration Utility
Make sure the TCP/IP protocol is enabled in the SQL Server Configuration Utility
Make sure the SQL Server browser is started. Note this step is optional. It is possible to set the SQL Server instance to use a fixed IP address - but this is non-standard for named instances
Make sure SQL Server and SQL Server Browser are exempted by the firewall on the server machine. This is done by putting sqlservr.exe and sqlbrowser.exe as an exception in the windows firewall.
Note: In order to get things to work. You might need to completely reboot the server machine after making the changes. There have been reports (thanks P.C.) that starting and stopping the SQL Server and Browser software is not enough.

James

Checked these settings still can not connect to the webpage
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Level 7

Thanks for any help. Doug

0 Kudos

Doug-

Are you using pass through authentication or passwords with special characters? 

0 Kudos

It's setup for windows authentication and no special characters

0 Kudos

Have you already applied Hotfix 1?

0 Kudos

Yes, hotfix 1 has been applied.  

0 Kudos

We are currently experiencing problems with pass-through authentication. As a workaround you can disable it and put IIS back to anonymous authentication to see if that helps.

0 Kudos

I set logins to anonymous and still receive the same error message. I also deleted all the inetpub files and re-ran the configuration wizard. At the end of the wizard error "unable to update web.config file" appears. thanks for any input.

0 Kudos

In the C:\\Inetpub\Solarwinds folder you will need to add "Everyone" with Full permission to that folder and to the C:\program files\Solarwinds\Orion folder as well.

0 Kudos

still getting the same error message "unable to update web configuration file" when running the config wizard. When I try to launch the web page I'm still getting error:40

0 Kudos

is this a remote web server?

0 Kudos

Yes it is.

0 Kudos

try copying the *.Schema files from your main Orion server (in C:\Program Files\Solarwinds\Orion) to the same directory on the extra web server.

0 Kudos

My apologies. Orion NPM and web services are all on the same server the database is on another server. thanks   

0 Kudos

I'm requesting a new license key and I'm going to install Orion on the same server as the DB.

0 Kudos