Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Warnings on larger disks

Jump to solution

Hi all

We currently set to warn on disks with 90% or more utilization, but this causes some issues on larger drives

For example we have a 1.7tb disk which is currently at 95%, but it actually has 85gb remaining - which is no major cause for concern.  We would like to be able to set a higher warning value on this volume.

Has anyone else noticed this or found a magic work around?

Cheers, Mark

1 Solution

Dan,

I really like your solution as well.  I'd like to throw out what we're doing - although I can't say it's as innovative as Dan's solution.

I have two conditions for a volume space alert (for drives, not memory), one is the space remaining and the other is percent remaining. For example, an alert my be similar to the following

Alert when all conditions apply

VolumeSpaceAvailable: Less than or equal to 10 GB

VolumePercentAvailable: Less than or equal to 10%

Using the "volume space" value, we elimintated the problem with using percentages on a large disk, sending alerts when they are truly necessary.  However, the new problem was for some systems that had particularly small disks that may dip below the static threshold.  Therefore, as long as the disk maintains more than 10% free, it will not alert.

I hope this makes sense and, at least, offers a different point of view with the problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Level 12

well, i am not sure if it is magic, but I have a custom property added to the volumes table.  one for warning and one for critical.  it is a percentage value.  I default them all to 85 and 90.

within your volume space alert, you use a complex condition rather than a simple condition.  this condition reads

volume percent utilisation is greater than field <custom_property>

and you have to alert triggers, one for warning and one critical.

works for me, as you can have specific thresholds for each volume... 

if you ant any more help, give me a shout

cheers

dan

Dan,

I really like your solution as well.  I'd like to throw out what we're doing - although I can't say it's as innovative as Dan's solution.

I have two conditions for a volume space alert (for drives, not memory), one is the space remaining and the other is percent remaining. For example, an alert my be similar to the following

Alert when all conditions apply

VolumeSpaceAvailable: Less than or equal to 10 GB

VolumePercentAvailable: Less than or equal to 10%

Using the "volume space" value, we elimintated the problem with using percentages on a large disk, sending alerts when they are truly necessary.  However, the new problem was for some systems that had particularly small disks that may dip below the static threshold.  Therefore, as long as the disk maintains more than 10% free, it will not alert.

I hope this makes sense and, at least, offers a different point of view with the problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Jason,

On your 'VolumeSpaceAvailable: Less than or equal to 10 GB' how did you specify 10 Gb?

0 Kudos

sotherls,

We do the same thing as Jason with percent used and space available. The field where you enter in 10gb you have to calculate it into bytes.

However, I just want to warn you guys I found a bug with this process. This has even been confirmed with a loop1 Technical support technician we hired from Solarwinds. If you rdp to a server that solarwinds is currently monitoring and go to "my computer" right click on the c drive for example and note the exact volume in bytes which is above the pie chart...for example I have a C drive that reports in bytes as 21,459,722,240 bytes convert that to GB and you get 19.9gb.

Now go to your Solarwinds webconsole of that server and that disk volume...notice that the disc volume size matches the bytes not the GB's??? It does not do the math to convert the bytes to GB. So in my example above solarwinds reports it at 21.46GB rather than 19.9GB.

This causes false alerts. I had a 60gb drive that filled up and brought a server down...solarwinds still saw that drive having 4gb free because the math is not done correctly.

This bug has been reported to Solarwinds and will hopefully be fixed in the next SP.

0 Kudos

some really useful info there guys, thanks.  I'll get to work and let you know how we get on 🙂

0 Kudos

That's a pretty elegant solution dan... nice one.

0 Kudos

Thanks, Dan!  wardz2k16, let us know if that worked for you.

-Craig

0 Kudos

no probs...   hoping that if i post enough, i might get a solarwinds mousemat and baseball cap LOL

0 Kudos