cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

WHEN USING GROUP MONITORING, HOW CAN I ENSURE GROUPS DISREGARD NODES THAT ARE IN MAINTENANCE MODE?

Jump to solution

I use group monitoring with dynamic queries to monitor by site so that when multiple devices go down, I only get one alert based on each location group.

My problem now is that when I put a single node into maintenance mode, that dynamic query still pulls in the node and maintenance mode basically does nothing.

I looked through all of the fields in dynamic queries and dont see anything for Status IS NOT Maintenance Mode...  This seems like a very simple feature that needs to be in there. 

Is there another way I can accomplish this?

1 Solution

Try 'Node Status' -> 'is not'-> 'Unmanaged', this would work provided you Unmanage the node during Maintenance Window rather than mute alert.

Plus apply a 5 mins wait period on your alert, so that this status is reflected on the Group accordingly.

I haven't tried this but it should work :), let me know if it helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Try 'Node Status' -> 'is not'-> 'Unmanaged', this would work provided you Unmanage the node during Maintenance Window rather than mute alert.

Plus apply a 5 mins wait period on your alert, so that this status is reflected on the Group accordingly.

I haven't tried this but it should work :), let me know if it helps.

View solution in original post

I like the dynamic nature of this. Have you tried the same approach with nodes being muted? We rarely unmanage in our environment, because we still want to collect stats during maintenance windows. Still, the one gotcha that remains is that if you excluded unmanaged and muted nodes from the group, you can no longer rely on that group to provide a reliable indication of the services within the group, since some nodes will be excluded.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply and the solution.  
I figured there was something fairly obvious I was missing.  
I will let all the techs in my environment know to select unmanage rather than muting alerts when entering maintenance mode.

EDIT: I also just realized that you do not even have to add the IS NOT UNMANAGED line to your query.  The group health reports UP when there is an unmanaged node in it.

Nice, thanks for refreshing my memory.

Unmanaged is not considered in best, worst and mixed status of a group - perfect 🙂

https://documentation.solarwinds.com/en/Success_Center/orionplatform/Content/Core-Managing-the-Displ....