This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

WAN Bandwidth Utilization %

Hey All,

Just took over our Solarwinds a month and a half ago so I'm kinda new to this. My boss asked me recently for a perf analysis showing overall bandwidth % usage for our 60 some sites so that when we get complaints, we can easily check and see if the circuits are being maxed out. I could do that by monitoring the WAN interfaces, however, some of these sites have more than 1 circuit, some firewalls utilize bandwidth and some internet routes out through MPLS. What I started doing was adding each individual wan interface to the same perf analysis chart, however, it didn't seem to be up to date and I couldn't use realtime monitoring because there were more than 10 devices monitored. I already went through the primary WANs and set the bandwidth for each circuit manually so the % is accurate. Also is there a way to combine the total bandwidth on the main chart but see a breakdown between the different interfaces when clicking down into the charts? Not really sure where I need to start or if there is a better way to do this...

• Try creating a View or a Report instead of a Perf Analysis project with your desired interfaces. Old example of mine below, with captain obvious redactions. emoticons_happy.png

pastedImage_0.png

• I would do one or both of the following for a client of mine:

1. Create a specific Summary dashboard page and add to menu. On this page structure it so you see the primary links, secondary and any other appropriate service functions, with the appropriate resources. This is likely to include a couple of line charts, tabular widgets such as those used on the Top 10 page, a map, alert list for those objects etc.

2. Create a Report entry with the necessary amount of charts on it, again using a usage/type structure to separate them out. Including a tabular list, so you can see the min/max/avg values of the utilisation and any other relevant information; custom properties, etc.

Both pages are filtered to only show these nodes/interfaces for the WAN topology.

• As addition you can get SolarWinds NTA which gives you a complete overview of "how" your bandwidth is used.