This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Volume Variables in Advanced Alerts

Good evening,

I'm having some problems trying to utilize the volume variables in advanced alerts.  I'm running NPM version 9.5.1 as of about 3:00pm EST today. 

I was trying to create alerts for disk space left on the C: drive for my servers and each volume variable I try seems to echo itself when I test the alert.  For example, when I use the variable ${VolumeDescription}, the test alert shows ${VolumeDescription}, rather than the output it should give.

Has anyone ran into this in their environments?  I'm fairly new to Orion, so it could be something silly I'm doing wrong, but I cannot get this to work properly.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

• First, are you sure that under the Trigger Condition tab, of the Advanced Alert, you selected Type of Property to Monitor: Volume?

I just tetsted the same variable in my environment and it works. Are you using any other variables in your alert? Are they working?

• I was trying to create alerts for disk space left on the C: drive for my servers and each volume variable I try seems to echo itself when I test the alert.  For example, when I use the variable ${VolumeDescription}, the test alert shows ${VolumeDescription}, rather than the output it should give.

Change the variable to ${Volume.VolumeDescription} and see what you get. It could be a scoping issue.

• I am trying to do the exact same thing, trigger an alert based on a remaining percentage of a volume.  The issue I am having is that the alerts I receive are on both Disk space and RAM.  How do I report on just the Hard Drive Volumes?  TIA

• I am trying to do the exact same thing, trigger an alert based on a remaining percentage of a volume.  The issue I am having is that the alerts I receive are on both Disk space and RAM.  How do I report on just the Hard Drive Volumes?  TIA

Add the condition VolumeType is equal to 'Fixed Disk' and that'll remove the memory bits.

• Yes, "Volume" is selected in the dropdown menu for Type of Property to Monitor.  I am using ${NodeName} and it is working properly.

• Thanks for the tip.  I'll try that when I get back to the office on Monday and let you know if that works.

• I tried the variable ${Volume.VolumeDescription} as was suggested and when I ran the test alert it came back echoing itself rather than giving the correct output.  So we are still having the same issues.  Any other suggestions?

• After seeing your alert definition, there's definitely something afoot. Try re-running the configuration wizard, rerunning your tests, and if that doesn't sort it out, open a ticket.

• Here is the Emergency (99% full) alert mesage we use:

JB

Subject:

Emergency:  ${Node.Caption} Disk ${Volume.Caption} Utilization is at Critical Level

Body:

Alert: ${FullName} is ${SQL:Select Round ('${VolumePercentUsed}',0) from Volumes WHERE VolumeID='${VolumeID}'} Percent Utilized

Volume Size        ${SQL:Select round((VolumeSize / 1024 / 1024 / 1024),1) from Volumes WHERE VolumeID='${VolumeID}'} GB
    Currently Used     ${SQL:Select round((VolumeSpaceUsed / 1024 / 1024 / 1024),1) from Volumes WHERE VolumeID='${VolumeID}'} GB

The IP address of this Node is ${Node.IP_Address}

To view details of this volume, goto:

http://Your_server/orion/View.aspx??View=VolumeDetails&NetObject=V:${VolumeID}

This alert was triggered on ${DateTime} and will repeat every 60 Minutes

This has been sent by an automated system, DO NOT REPLY.
    Generated By: ${AlertName}

• I recieved the same erros when i tested some of my alerts. I was not paying attention and didnt select the node, THEN the volume from the drop downs. once I actaully tested against a volume, the test report gave the correct info.