This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

VMWare vCenter monitoring

I am configuring our VMWare environment to be monitored by Orion. I got the ESX hosts added to Orion by creating a local user on each host with read-only permissions. I am confused as to what type of user is needed for the vCenter server. Can somebody please help me? So, under the "VMWare Polling Settings" in "Add a Node", what vCenter credentials do I provide? Is this a local vCenter user or is this a domain user? What specific privileges does this user need to the vCenter server? It is certainly not the same credentials as the ESX host.

• You can use a service account that is a member of the Local Administrator group on the vCenter server. From there just ensure that the Local Admin group is assigned the Administrator role in vCenter. You can probably get away with just having the service account have read only in vCenter, but that is up to you.

• I've had problems getting vCenter and ESXi hosts to line up in hierarchy if the ESX was added before the vCenter.  So after you get the vCenter polling, you might have to remove the ESX polling and re-add.

• Thanks. I logged into vCenter and gave my domain service account(used exclusively for Orion monitoring) read-only access. I think that did the trick. Also, the hosts seemed to have lined up properly under vCenter. Thanks for all the responses.