cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

VM Monitoring

Hi,

I would like to setup to monitor VMWare like the Orion Feature site display, but have a hard time. Can anyone point me to the right direction? Since they already have it setup on Orion feature, could someone in Solardwind just do a video to show how it's setup?

The feature link:  http://www.solarwinds.com/products/orion/virtualization.aspx

The screen link:  http://www.solarwinds.com/products/orion/virtualization_screen.aspx

Setup for the "Vitual Machines on VMWare ESX" is the part I like to know. Thx!!!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Level 7

I agree.  There is a lot of hype on the web page you mentioned about monitoring ESX and VirtualCenter, but no mention of it in the current manuals.  There is also nothing in the knowledge base.  Someone at Solarwinds must have the information.

0 Kudos

You can use the the Universal Device Poller to monitor a lot of different values on an ESX server.  It helps to know the OIDs in order to build the UnDPs, and you can find most of what's available from ESX here:

http://www.oidview.com/mibs/6876/VMWARE-VMINFO-MIB.html

0 Kudos

That sounds more like "set up lots of pollers" and "good luck with that" than the follow marketing from the Solarwinds website:

"ESX Virtual Machine Auto-summary
Orion NPM can be configured to automatically discover new virtual machines added to any VMware ESX host server. When virtual resources are constantly moving, it is critical to have near real-time information about how resources are allocated to determine the best possible configuration for the business."

0 Kudos

Here a poller I wrote,

JB

0 Kudos

Ok how do I use this poller you wrote?

It is in asx format do I just change it too .UnDp or am I missing something? The download just opens up and asx page and does not actually download anything.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Copy and paste to a file (you may nee to edit out the "-" in the first row), name it whatever.UnDP and import it.

JB

0 Kudos

Thanks that worked

0 Kudos

How do I get it to show up like the pic you have ?

0 Kudos

I used the example UnDP and added it to my VM hosts. It works great. I'd like to be able create a report that shows all my guests and what host they are currently running on. I created a report using the UnDP, but I'm not sure how to format it so the info shows up in separate columns similar to the example above.
It would be really nice to have a report e-mailed every morning listing all the guests and where they are hosted.

Thanks
0 Kudos

Orion NPM can be configured to automatically discover new virtual machines added to any VMware ESX host server

It's not a lot of a pollers.  It's one or more, depending on the info you want.  If you set up a single UnDP that lists the VMs on an ESX, then when a new VM is added to ESX, it'll show up on the table for the ESX node.

0 Kudos

Hi Denny, I was wondering if you could assist me with pollers?

Any time I try to test them against our ESX server they fail with Not Supported errors?

Many Thanks

Lee

0 Kudos

Lee,

Denny's still on jury duty(and he's still loving every minute of it), but let me see if I can help.  First off, is the server and ESXi device?  From what we've seen, these devices don't support SNMP access.  Also, is everything properly enabled for SNMP on the device.  There are a couple posts on Thwack that discuss how to enable it.  If it is not one of those items, what is the OID you are trying to poll?

0 Kudos

Hello, the VM is of type ESX v3, and I think we may have an SNMP issue. Apparently to enable SNMP on a Unix box is tricky? I tried to validate SNMP via ONPM which failed, so I guess that tells us something 😉

I shall try & have someone make sure SNMP is working on the Unix box as first call.

Thanks

0 Kudos

I'm back.  ESX v3, not 3.5?

0 Kudos