cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlbanyMike
Level 9

Re: V9 Upgrades - Let's here the stories

Thanks for the advice.  I did not notice anywhere to run a repair.  After installing 9, The server reboots, and goes directly into the configuration wizard.  Normally, when running the config wizard, you get the option of "repair" and you can choose website, database, etc.  After installing 9, I no longer have that option.  The config wizard attempts to run, and I get an error. 
I think  I will wait for a service pack or 2 before attempting the upgrade.  Our entire New York State agency relies on Orions monitoring and alerting.  Down time is on Orion is critical as I has to beg and plead to attempt this upgrade.  After having to revert back to an older snapshot of the server to get Orion back up and running, I dont think the powers that be will allow another upgrade attempt anytime soon.

Orion 8.5.1 SP3
NTA 3
APM
Cirrus 4.0  

1800 elements.

0 Kudos
profzoom1
Level 10

No webex session  today I guess they don't know WTF is going on with ver.9 and I am now full hot since I just now received an email stating that they are confused and no word all day until now.

I have 2 tickets open

49810 dealing with the universal poller error saying "an item with the same key has already been added" and it will not open.

49582 problem with virtual interfaces all defaulting to 10 Mb instead of a gig or more and this is happening on my 6500's firewall service modules, F5's, Bluecoat device, basically anything with a virtual interface it wants to make it 10 Mb and this was never an issue in 8.5.x or anything before.

So far I have to give support an E for effort andd that is about it.

0 Kudos
mark_wiggans
Level 17

I looked into getting updates regarding those cases and the technician for 49810 is out sick today and the 49582 issue is test tracked, which means development is still seeking possible causes/resolutions.  We'll see if someone from support can reach out to you today.
0 Kudos
denny.lecompte
Level 19

I just now received an email stating that they are confused

When we get a bug reported to development, we try to reproduce it.  That's a part of the Dev team, and sometimes they don't have all the info they need to reproduce.  I think the email was trying to gather more info to work on your bug.

0 Kudos
denny.lecompte
Level 19

Thanks for the advice.  I did not notice anywhere to run a repair.  After installing 9, The server reboots, and goes directly into the configuration wizard. 

Mike, running a repair is done from the installer or from add/remove programs.  It's different than re-running the configuration wizard.

0 Kudos
JTL
Level 7

I too ran into the same problem.  Instead of changing all of the them to Gig if you like you can add

" InterfaceName not Like '*VLAN*' " under the edit function ( top 10 interfaces by % Utilization) under filter interface.  This will take anything with the word VLAN out of the top 10 view.  Makes the top 10 still usable until the fix comes out.  If your description is coming up with non routed then replace VLAN with what ever key word you like. You can also do more then one key word

example:  InterfaceName not Like '*VLAN*' AND InterfaceName not like '*side*' AND InterfaceName not like '*Extranet*'

Here my top 10 interfaces by % Utilization will not have anything with VLAN, side and Extranet included

Works well

0 Kudos
jtimes
Level 13

Down time is on Orion is critical as I has to beg and plead to attempt this upgrade.  After having to revert back to an older snapshot of the server to get Orion back up and running, I dont think the powers that be will allow another upgrade attempt anytime soon.

Maybe you could use this experience to build a solid business case justification to get "the powers that be" to drop a dime and get you a test/QA instance of Orion/NTA/APM/Cirrus (smallest license versions.)  I know its a "tough sell", but it is well worth the investment.

just a suggestion...

0 Kudos
uscallesen
Level 9

I've been running a pretty basic Orion V9 (upgraded from 8.5.1sp3) for the past week now.

With 8.5.1 sp3 we were finally getting down to only a single open case with Solarwindssupport - and a few issues which was supposed to be fixed in V9.

With V9 however we've had numorous NEW problems - at this point I'm about to reinstall V9 as the "Module Engine" craches whenever someone enteres the node view and support has been unable to find out whats wrong.

I hope Solarwinds will soon realise that fixing bugs is more important than adding new features (and new bugs...)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Motty99
Level 9

I did a new installation on a fresh server...install went without error...but since then, I've seen two problems that have me worried...

1. The Service Manager, with the events open...I've notice that on doing multiple refreshes, I've had the Manager lock up...had to kill in Task Manager...this happen a number of times yesterday....

2. Last night we had a number of down alerts...the came back during our reboot period (3 to 5am)...at 5, all the downs were reported...they were not down...I rebooted Orion and they all came back...wondering if a service got in a weird state...if this happens again, I will check for that...

0 Kudos
uscallesen
Level 9

we had a number of down alerts...the came back during our reboot period (3 to 5am)...at 5, all the downs were reported...they were not down...I rebooted Orion and they all came back...wondering if a service got in a weird state...if this happens again, I will check for that...

I can confirm that this is indeed an issue - I've experienced something simular with Alert being triggered after the problem was resovled. Could not find any other explanation for it.

0 Kudos