cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 12

V9 Upgrades - Let's here the stories

Now that V9 is out I wanted to start a thread on how upgrades from 8.5.X to 9 have been going?  I'm especially interested in people running multiple pollers.

I'm going to wait a could weeks before I upgrade so the bleeding edge folks can work out any issues. 😉

Good luck.

BB

0 Kudos
161 Replies

WooHoo! no thnx, then I would lose the data I have been collecting from the last week of the parts of Orion that DO work! 

0 Kudos

Just did...50267...thanks Denny

0 Kudos

Upgrading from 8.5 to 9, after .net 3.5 installed and rebooted It installed with no issues. When running the configuration wizard I got the following error:

"The current user has not be assigned a valid default database. Use SQL Management tools to create a new database, and then assign it as the default database for the current user"

I called support and they quickly had me delete a default registry key and rerun the configuration wizard. Worked just fine.

0 Kudos

we had a number of down alerts...the came back during our reboot period (3 to 5am)...at 5, all the downs were reported...they were not down...I rebooted Orion and they all came back...wondering if a service got in a weird state...if this happens again, I will check for that...

I can confirm that this is indeed an issue - I've experienced something simular with Alert being triggered after the problem was resovled. Could not find any other explanation for it.

0 Kudos
Level 9

What a horror story.  We had 2 hour window of Down Time when we could upgrade from 8.5.1.  First off, the customer portal had initailly posted Orion 9.0 SLX.  So I DLed it and installed.  Tried to license and got an error.  I return to the customer portal and notice that the SLX version has been replaced with SL2000.  Fine.

I DL Orion 9.0 SL2000, install and license.  I think all is well.  The server then prompts for a reboot.  Upon reboot, the configuration wizard automatically runs.  Of course, it replies with an error when trying to access the netperfmon DB.  "Login failed for user"."   No where in the config wizard can I specify the user ID and PW I want Orion to use.  It just goes out and trys user ID ".

So, lucky for me, I still had a copy of Orion 8.5.1 install package.  I run that package, and get to the config wizard once again.  Same error.  So now, after attempting to upgrade to 9.0 we are left with a completly broken Orion package.  The configuration manager for both 9.0 and 8.51 error out.

I remember when initially running the config wizard way back with Orion 8, I was prompted to supply SQL credentials.  That no longer seems to be the case.

My advice,... stick with 8.5.1, let all these horror stories play out, and wait for 9.5.

0 Kudos

There are a few reg keys you will have to delete to fix this.

hkeylocal-->software-->solarwinds.net-->configured modules

i removed all but the default key and was prompted.  of course make a backup first 🙂 

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos

Mike,

When I installed Orion 9  I saw the same thing, but if you run a repair then the wizard, you will see the connection string prompts. 

0 Kudos

Thanks for the advice.  I did not notice anywhere to run a repair.  After installing 9, The server reboots, and goes directly into the configuration wizard.  Normally, when running the config wizard, you get the option of "repair" and you can choose website, database, etc.  After installing 9, I no longer have that option.  The config wizard attempts to run, and I get an error. 
I think  I will wait for a service pack or 2 before attempting the upgrade.  Our entire New York State agency relies on Orions monitoring and alerting.  Down time is on Orion is critical as I has to beg and plead to attempt this upgrade.  After having to revert back to an older snapshot of the server to get Orion back up and running, I dont think the powers that be will allow another upgrade attempt anytime soon.

Orion 8.5.1 SP3
NTA 3
APM
Cirrus 4.0  

1800 elements.

0 Kudos

Down time is on Orion is critical as I has to beg and plead to attempt this upgrade.  After having to revert back to an older snapshot of the server to get Orion back up and running, I dont think the powers that be will allow another upgrade attempt anytime soon.

Maybe you could use this experience to build a solid business case justification to get "the powers that be" to drop a dime and get you a test/QA instance of Orion/NTA/APM/Cirrus (smallest license versions.)  I know its a "tough sell", but it is well worth the investment.

just a suggestion...

0 Kudos

I've been running a pretty basic Orion V9 (upgraded from 8.5.1sp3) for the past week now.

With 8.5.1 sp3 we were finally getting down to only a single open case with Solarwindssupport - and a few issues which was supposed to be fixed in V9.

With V9 however we've had numorous NEW problems - at this point I'm about to reinstall V9 as the "Module Engine" craches whenever someone enteres the node view and support has been unable to find out whats wrong.

I hope Solarwinds will soon realise that fixing bugs is more important than adding new features (and new bugs...)

0 Kudos

Thanks for the advice.  I did not notice anywhere to run a repair.  After installing 9, The server reboots, and goes directly into the configuration wizard. 

Mike, running a repair is done from the installer or from add/remove programs.  It's different than re-running the configuration wizard.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip!  I had opened a ticket and support seems to really be pushing users to upgrade to 9.0  Usually when opening a ticket, weeks, if not months go by with no progress.  I opened this ticket and a tech called me within 5 minutes asking to set up a gotomeeting.

0 Kudos
Level 7

The upgrade went smoothly right here. I don't see any major issues yet.

The only thing I also discovered is the x- axis for graphs that is not working correctly. When I want to see a graph of for example 7 days. The x-axis shows hours in stead of day's which would make more sense. This changes in days when I change the sample interval to 2 hours.

0 Kudos
Level 11

Our upgrade from 8.5.x to 9 went smooth, but we see the node lookup by search take 4 times as long now vs version 8.

0 Kudos

Our upgrade from 8.5.x to 9 went smooth, but we see the node lookup by search take 4 times as long now vs version 8.

Bruce,

Could you  open a ticket and send us diagnostics?

Denny

0 Kudos

Just upgraded from 8.5 to V9.  Only one issue so far and that was with custom property editor.  We had a few fields setup and after upgrade they were gone.  When we had these nodes setup by these fields after upgrade they were not. 

We went in to readd them and orion stated the fields were allready present.  Refreshed the web page and now my missing fileds were back and nodes were sorted by those fields.

Only issue so far.

0 Kudos
Level 7

OK, my experience was not good but it was that way for a not so obvious reason.

I upgraded from 8.5 to 9.0 today and when it got to the point about the license I forgot that the box didn't have access to the Internet.  So the install was cancelled part of the way through.  What resulted was an install that looked like it went through with no problems but was about 75% completed.

Things that where broken:

1. Web site would give me an error page that I needed to start the service.  When you looked at the services screen it showed that all the services had been started.

2. Universal Device Poller would try to start but would fail saying that it could not connect to the server.

I opened a ticket but after I did that I decided to re-run the installer and tell it to "repair".  This has fixed everything.

To all those thinking about waiting for 9.5.  Universal Device Poller alone is worth the upgrade in my book.

As I was finishing the post Support called me.  So that response time was pretty good also approx. 9 minutes.

0 Kudos
Level 9

Hmmm.. im waiting till 9.5

0 Kudos

Hmmm.. im waiting till 9.5

It's your call, but Grant's comments are really pretty positive, so I'm surprised at your conclusion.

0 Kudos

It's your call, but Grant's comments are really pretty positive, so I'm surprised at your conclusion.

Denny is right - I think there are some great advanced in 9, and I'm happy I upgraded. I'll look forward to seeing the new release that will be completely ASP.NET.

The new Universal Poller works great - I'm still learning my way around the new interface, but it shows a lot of promise to expand in the future. I can finally monitor my Brocade Fiber switches on my EMC SAN thanks to the support for SNMP tables.

There are still some bugs, but nothing that's mission critical or shutting down my operations. My alerts upgraded perfectly (at least, I think they did!) and I had no problems with my custom HTML and web interfaces. Overall, I'm extremely satisfied.

I think bugs like these are things you're going to come across - even with beta testing, you never get everything out until you make it available to all the people using it across so many diverse environments. On top of that, I think Solarwinds has an excellent history of helping to resolve these issues in a timely manner, not to mention help from the Thwack Community. Don't go bashing 9.0 until you've tried it and experienced some issues - I'm happy with the upgrade and plan on working through the minor problems I've had. The benefits GREATLY outweigh the caveats.

0 Kudos

I have noticed another problem. when I look at a graph covering 30 days the horizontal axis labels are wrong. The view is for 30 days but the horizontal labels mention times of day, a single day. The graph is right the labels are wrong.

0 Kudos