This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

User Links (conditional display)

Has anyone wanted, or more specifically, written a resource which will display User Links based on a specific preexisting condition?

The reason I'm asking is I would like to display a link to our online support documentation by using a Custom Node Property to generate the link. The problem I have at the moment, is there is only some devices on which I would like to display this link, and the rest do not have any linkable docs (as of yet) and/or the devices belong to a different group.

So, I'm basically taking a manual text variable (VPN) for example, and substituting this into a user link on each device page (companywiki.com/.../${Nodes.SupportDocs} in which I would enter whatever free text variable I want next to each node, and have the link dynamically adjust to it's specific wiki support page. If there is no value in said column, I would love to not display the link at all... which is proving to be more difficult. Otherwise, I have the link on all device pages, but half work (ones with values), and half do not (broken aka. empty). Failing this - I might just create a default landing page which states there is no clickable link for documentation and leave it at that. :-)

Any thoughts or is anyone else doing something similar?

• That sounds pretty cool.  I have a simpler idea.

Why not just make custom property for all your nodes called supportdoc and if the node has support doc configure this custom property for it and put the url in there?  The nice thing about custom properties on nodes at least on my NPM is that they only display if they are set when viewing a node.  Just a thought.