This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Used too many licenses when adding nodes

I just started working this new job and began adding missing unmanaged nodes to our SolarWinds Monitoring service.  With no guidance or direction from my supervisor, I added all the ports on each node and used up all the licenses. I am now looking for a way to retract the ports we don't want monitored without the affecting the monitoring of the node.  Suggestions?

Thanks!

• Don't monitor any of these interfaces:  loopback/ null/ VoIP.

You might also choose to monitor only uplink ports on switches.  Not sure how many you have and how many your license supports.  But if you monitor no other ports, monitor uplinks.

If you monitor a device behind a switch port, you might decide not to monitor the switch port.  You would obviously lose the ability to see duplex/ speed/ errors from the switch, but hey--you're in a pinch.

• You can go to Manage Nodes and expand a given node and select the interfaces you don't want to monitor and Delete them:

pastedImage_0.png

• Whatever you determine are non-essential interfaces could be added to discovery ignore lists.  In the future, when you are adding nodes, you will be able to prevent addition of certain types of interfaces.