This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Use of loopback adapter?

One of the solutions I'm working on here for some poller redundancy is to use the loopback adapter. This is for the public interfaces, specifically.

However, most boxes use the IP address of whatever interface the packets are going out on. Does anyone know if there's a way I can use the loopback IP based on an egress interface?

// Ian Underwood - Service Management
// Level 3 Communications
  • Ian,

You can use the Cisco "snmp Trap-Source" command to specify the interface to use for SNMP
    queries. I believe ICMP uses the actual loopback IP as the source.

-=Cheers=-
    NG
  • Ian,
    Are you asking "Can Orion be configured to use the Loopback IP address" ?

If so, then the answer is yes. The polling engine was specifically designed for this situation.

Either add the device using the Loopback IP Address, or right click on the device from within "System Manager" and select Node Details. Then change the IP Address to the IP Address of the Loopback Interface.
  • I know I can poll on loopback addresses...but I were to actually loopback the polling server, can I use that IP address?

• You *may* be able to do this with the interface binding orders. If you are using Win2K or XP, go to the Network Connections Control Panel and click on the 'Advanced Settings' menu option. If you've added your Windows TCP Loopack adapter, go ahead and move that adapter to the top of the list. Again, this may work, and it may not. I'd be interested to know if it does, because I might do this myself.

evt
  • The problem is that the default route I use goes out a numbered interface, thus using that egress IP address.

What I'm trying to do would be done via cisco speak like this:

ip npm source-interface loopback0

Though the solution I'm looking towards now is adding a redundant-capable adapater and an HSRP group.