This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Use a specific Trigger Action based on CP?

Is there a way to have an alert use a specific Trigger Action based on Custom Properties tagged to a Node or Interface? I want to create global alerts that would apply to pretty much any node (network, servers, etc), but I want the alert to use a specific trigger action which will send the alert to the proper team. I am trying to avoid creating multiple alerts of the same trigger condition for each team that owns the node.

As an example:

Global Node down Alert sends notification email to the Server team because the node is tagged with a "Windows Server" Custom Property.

Is there a better way to accomplish this than what I'm suggesting? Thanks for the help!

• There might not be a way to do it exactly as you are asking.  The closest is to actually create an alert per group instead, where each alert would just have the one action.  The alerts is where you can do the filtering.

Alternatively if the actions are similar you might could do something close.  For example, if all of the actions would be email, then set a custom property to the email address you want to send it to.  So all of the nodes that are in the windows server group would also have another custom property "EMAIL_ON_DOWN" set to serveradmins@mydomain.com, in the email trigger action you would put ${{N=SwisEntity;M=CustomProperties.EMAIL_ON_DOWN}} in the "to" address.  Now every node can have a different email address that it sends it's alert to.  The hard part is populating that custom property the first time, and then keeping it up to date.

Another option is to set the action to "Execute an external program", then run a powershell script to actually do the logic and execute the action based on whatever you can code.

• Just create CP "To_notify" (as example) containing email address of recipient (group address of recipients )and use it in alert. Then you can use one alert for all nodes.