Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Upgrading to NPM 12 from NPM 11.5

Jump to solution

HI,

Can you guys help me what are the requirements(software, hardware, license) required to upgrade NPM 11.5 to 12?

Please help me on this.

Regards

Satheesh A

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 11

Check out the Product Upgrade Advisor which can help you answer all of your upgrade questions!

Product Upgrade Advisor | SolarWinds Customer Portal

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Level 7

can I upgrade my NPM 11.5 running on 2008R2 to NPM 12.1.

Is there any challenges in DB?

Because there some changes in NPM 12.1 database table.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Check out the Product Upgrade Advisor which can help you answer all of your upgrade questions! and install trial version on test server and add some samples from your environment to check compatibility with your current environment than upgrade on production servers.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Hi there! Here are the requirements for NPM 12: NPM 12.0 and Orion 2016.1 system requirements - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support   Note: These requirements consider you use every feature NPM has to offer, for best performance.

For all NPM 12 docs: Network Performance Monitor (NPM) 12 - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

For scalability, we do have updates, see below.

Network Performance Monitor (NPM)

SolarWinds NPM Scalability Engine Guidelines

Stackable Pollers Available?

Yes. Up to four total polling engines may be installed on a single server (i.e. one primary polling engine with one to three additional polling engines, or four additional polling engines on the same server).

A stack requires only 1 IP address, regardless of the number of APEs.

Poller Remotability Available?

Yes, for SolarWinds NPM 10.4 and later

Poller remotability is a feature that enables the local storage, using MSMQ, of up to ~1 GB of polled data per poller in the event that the connection between the polling engine and the database is temporarily lost.

Primary Poller Limits

~48k elements at standard polling frequencies
(12k per polling engine):

• Node and interface up/down: 2 minutes/poll
  • Node statistics: 10 minutes/poll
  • Interface statistics: 9 minutes/poll

25-50 concurrent Orion Web Console users

SNMP Traps: ~500 messages per second (~1.8 million messages/hr)

Syslog: 700-1k messages/second (2.5 - 3.6 million messages/hr)

If you are monitoring more than ~100,000 elements, consider using SolarWinds Enterprise Operations Console.

Scalability Options

One polling engine for every ~12k elements

Maximum of 100k elements per primary SolarWinds NPM server (i.e. 1 NPM server + 9 APEs).

WAN and/or Bandwidth Considerations

Minimal monitoring traffic is sent between the primary SolarWinds NPM server and any APEs that are connected over a WAN. Most traffic related to monitoring is between an APE and the SolarWinds Orion database.

Other Considerations

How much bandwidth does SolarWinds require for monitoring?

See "Orion Server Hardware Requirements" in the SolarWinds Orion NPM Administrator Guide.

0 Kudos
Level 11

Check out the Product Upgrade Advisor which can help you answer all of your upgrade questions!

Product Upgrade Advisor | SolarWinds Customer Portal

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

it does not include the scaleability engines in the assessment.

0 Kudos