cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Upgrading to 2019.4 in stages?

(This may be a duplicate post, but I can't find my original, posted just a couple of days ago.)

We are upgrading to 2019.4 on Saturday (from 2019.2). I would like to do it in 2 stages. We have the main server and 26 APE's, but I would like to, initially, just upgrade the main server and 2 APE's (we would shut down the other 24 VMs for stage 1). Once everything seems functional for the first 3 servers, we would startup the other 24 VMs and upgrade those. Would I still be able to use the My Orion Deployment update method? Or would I need to run the installer on each VM? Or something in between? The concern would be that, in the unlikely event the upgrade goes wrong, we would only have to restore 3 servers instead of 27.

Thanks.

Steve

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Hi Steve,

This is totally doable but you just need to do it in the right sequence. As long as your prepared to be without the majority of your APE's for the delta between your Phase 1 and Phase 2 upgrade, as once you upgrade the MPE and 2 APE's all your other APE's will stop working.

So if you shut down the 24 servers you don't want to upgrade prior to starting, then once your Main server is upgraded you can use the central upgrade deployment from your web console to upgrade your 2 APE's. What will happen is the central upgraded will try to contact your APE's and for the one's it can't reach (because they are shutdown) you will be able to skip them and continue with the 2 that are up.

Then all said and done turn the other servers on and repeat the process.

Warning - I've never done this, but this does seem like the logical process. Only other option would be to delete all the Polling Engines from the engines /orionserves table and let them get re-added but then your node allocation would need to be backed up and reassigned.

If you've not done it today then happy to go through it in more detail.

- David Smith
0 Kudos
Level 17

@hebron1212 have you considered having a DEV assisted upgrade? https://thwack.solarwinds.com/t5/Product-Blog/Dev-Assisted-Upgrades/ba-p/586208

You would make a perfect candidate for the new pre-staging feature mentioned here: https://thwack.solarwinds.com/t5/The-Orion-Platform-Documents/Orion-Platform-2020-2-Release-Candidat...

@Dez what do you think?

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

I agree!  Please fill out the survey and I'll be in contact with you shortly after.

~Dez~

0 Kudos
Level 9

Thanks!

We would rather wait for the general release rather than install the release candidate, which is why we're going with 2019.4. We have a project that is in need of the real-time poller widgets sooner than later.

Right now, I just need to understand the necessary steps for doing the staged upgrade, if that is feasible.

Steve

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

That is only available to go to the 2020.2 as it uses the new foundation 😞

~Dez~

0 Kudos