cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Upgrading from 2020.0 to HF2 - "All-products are up-to-date" Issue

Hi, 

I am trying to upgrade from "Orion Platform 2020.2" to the new Hotfix release "2020.2.1 HF2". 

However, when I try to run the offline installer, it doesn't let me proceed and gives a message "All products are up-to-date". 

Did anyone else run into this issue? 

I am wondering if I have to upgrade to 2020.2.1 first and then upgrade to "2020.2.1 Hotfix" 

Thoughts? 

@DanielleH 

18 Replies

Just got off the line with Solarwinds Support, going to provide some information here that they shared with me that I found helpful.

We blew away all of our polling engines, including the primary, and are keeping the database. We were on 2020.2 previously, upgrading to 2020.2.1 HF2.

Installed using the:

"Orion Network Performance Monitor(NPM) for Offline Installation - The offline installer includes everything you need to install all SolarWinds Orion products
Latest version: 2020.2.1 HF2"

This did indeed reinstall our Core, SAM, and NPM platforms, including the Hotfix 2 pack which ONLY applies for Core. You can verify this by opening Control Panel > Uninstall a Program > VIEW INSTALLED UPDATES on the left panel. The "View Installed Updates" is a missing piece I see most people (including myself) not knowing about. Solarwinds Orion Core Services will show as 2020.2.1 in the "Uninstall a Program" section. You'll see "Update for SolarWinds Orion Core Services 2020.2.1 (Hotfix2) only in the "Installed Updates" section.

app.pnghotfix.png

Additionally, only Orion Core received HF2. For us, our NPM has no Hotfixes, and SAM is on HF1. These are all the latest releases per this site:

https://support.solarwinds.com/SuccessCenter/s/article/Orion-Hotfix-Release-Notes?language=en_US

Hope this helps, this has been a confusing rollout for so many.

0 Kudos
Level 8

I am currently at 2020.2.1 HF1, its shows me HF2 available now, under Updates and Evaluation. Thanks

sasad555_0-1608175009090.png

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

We are actively looking into this. Hang tight. 

To potentially address some of the confusion around getting properly up to date - I think confusion certainly derives from old and new versioning methods of modules vs the platform. All Hotfixes are available in a single location (Listed under the Hot Fixes Tab in Customer Portal):

jblankjblank_0-1608161526165.jpeg

If the ORION PLATFORM version is already on 2020.2.1 you will be able to utilize these direct HotFixes to install. When downloading they will be in the form of a .exe. Hotfixes by themselves will always be a .exe. You should be able to validate your Platform Version via the footer of your environment.

It might look something like this: Orion Platform, WPM, SRM, NPM, VMAN, SAM: 2020.2.1 © 1999-2020 SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

If you are not on 2020.2.1 - I would recommend going to download the LATEST version of a product such as NPM - which looked similar to this:

jblankjblank_1-1608161526175.jpeg

However, if you are hitting the drop down and looking/ expecting a 2020.2.1 NPM version it will not really be set in that manner. You are going to see the 2020.2.1 HF2, and then below that 12.5 as many of the modules had yet to begin taking on the new versioning method that the Platform used until recently. Its ok, you want the 2020.2.1 HF2 that is there, you DO NOT need to look for a 2020.2.1 NPM version. When downloading this file, it should be a .ISO. and yes, the link from the NPM download for release notes linked to the last version of NPM's release notes in August. - You do not need that, you are after the Orion Platform Release notes - specifically here: https://support.solarwinds.com/SuccessCenter/s/article/Orion-Platform-2020-2-1-Hotfix-2?language=en_...

Once downloaded, you can open the .ISO and look at the Sub-Installers folder to see the components and would want to see the following:

jblankjblank_2-1608161526177.jpeg

Hoping this helps.

0 Kudos
Level 9

So I am here Orion Platform HF1 on my version and getting the Products are update to date when running the HF2 update.  Nothing I've tried in any suggestion has worked.

Anyone have any new ideas?  It seems there are a lot with this issue and it seems most of them are on HF1. At lease that's what it looks like digging through the posts.

0 Kudos
Level 12

Level 7

Does the hotfix only go on the main Poller or does it need to be installed on the additional pollers because the centralized installed and download keeps failing on my additional pollers ? 

Thanks  

0 Kudos

I had to put the offline installer on each orion server and run it manually. then run the configuration wizard when it finished (on all servers)

0 Kudos
Level 13

If you have 2020.2 you must first upgrade to 2020.2.1 before you can apply "HF2 for 2020.2.1"

So I may be a little confused and it seems that I'm not the only one.  I can't seem to find  2020.2.1.  Also for something like this I would have expected SolarWinds to address that in their release management.  A cumulative update to 2020 would have been awesome.  So any ideas how to proceed or what that would be.

We have 2020.2.1 HF1 that we installed a couple of nights ago but when I go to the "Updates Available" page of the "My Orion Deployment" screen, it says we're completely up to date.  However, I checked and we are definitely still just on HF1, not HF2.  On Customer Portal the only download available for HF2 is the Offline Installer. 

Are they just not offering HF2 via the "My Orion Deployment" method maybe?  Has anyone successfully upgraded to HF2 through the "Updates Available" web installer today?

This may be a really stupid question but since the update mechanism was the thing that started all this, why would anyone not want an offline installer at this point? 

0 Kudos

Hi,
Download and run the new offline installer- hotfix2 on primary server first and then proceed through web console for upgrading scalability engines.
0 Kudos

Hi I went this way, but it seems that HF2 was installed ? Am i wrong ?hotfix.jpg

0 Kudos

I'm on 2020.2 HF1, and when i attempt to install 2020.2.1 HF2 the installer states "all products are up-to-date".  A previous poster states i need to upgrade to 2020.2.1 HF1 first, but i don't see it in the portal.  Can someone please advise?

0 Kudos

never mind, i think i found it on the Software compatibility page, once i filled out current and desired, it provided the download

0 Kudos

scratch that, the compatibility page provide the online installer, and i need the offline.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos

For 2020.2 to 2020.2.1 HF2, make sure you are using the full installer, not the HF2 only installer. 

bmrad_1-1608169253985.png