cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 12

Upgraded 1500 VMs to Server 2012, Orion not picking up the resource changes

Jump to solution

My organization recently upgraded about 1500 VMs to Server 2012. The biggest issue we are facing is that Orion is not picking up the new disks. If i click "List resources" on the node details page, i see this:

rmullal_0-1609859151435.png

I click submit, get brought back to the node details page and now i have this:

rmullal_1-1609859378338.png

The D drive at 96% and the C drie at 50% are the OLD disks. Why is Orion still picking these up?! I have rediscovered and forced it to poll multiple times. shouldn't orion automatically pick up the newly added disks and remove the old ones?

Orion does know it's a 2012 sever....

Sure, i could delete and re add the nodes, but that would be a heavy lift for 1500 of them.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Nope. This is why 3 years ago when someone added an Exchange volume, it wasn't added to Solar.

Customer had the disk filled, and all suggestions were "do a discovery". But with 3000 nodes with 15 different domain logins, and 300 different subnets, its just painful.

Yeah, I know, I'm a killjoy, but your issue has been beaten to death and its a pain-point I live with as well.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Level 10

official reply from Solarwinds dev on about 8 different tickets i opened in 5 years: Solarwinds is designed to monitor only what you tell it to monitor. We don't want to enable auto discovery of new disks as we fell our customers  want to do this manually and they never asked for auto discovery; please open a feature request. 

Have fun with OS updates , been there done that on over 5k server 🙂 . Just delete them and add a new discovery with all the IP.

0 Kudos
Level 13

Someone will probably chime in suggesting doing a discovery, but this process, especially on 1500 VMs is a messy endeavor.

This is one of the painful realities of disk discovery and management.

There are a ton of threads on this.

It is simply painful to manage - people may disagree, but all the previous threads have never been fully closed with a solid process of managing disks in a bulk way.

Hey @hpstech thanks for the reply.

So this is by design? Orion doesn't automatically pick up new disks and clear out the old ones?

0 Kudos

Nope. This is why 3 years ago when someone added an Exchange volume, it wasn't added to Solar.

Customer had the disk filled, and all suggestions were "do a discovery". But with 3000 nodes with 15 different domain logins, and 300 different subnets, its just painful.

Yeah, I know, I'm a killjoy, but your issue has been beaten to death and its a pain-point I live with as well.

View solution in original post

Well, that is just a terrible design all around. Thanks for your input. I guess I'll delete the VMs and re add them in a discovery. YAY!

0 Kudos

You can do a discovery, and then add each discovered volume one by one.

I would not delete and re-add, especially if you have application monitoring in place.

Both options suck, I know.

so if i do a discovery on the 1500 upgraded VMs, Orion will remove the OLD volumes?

0 Kudos

No. You will see each server with the new volume that is discovered in the results list, and the ability to check them off one by one.

Do a sample discovery for 1 IP and see it in action.

hpstech_0-1609947680950.png

0 Kudos

In the latest release you can enable a setting to automatically remove unknown volumes, this may be something that might help. 

jblankjblank_0-1609947694830.png

You would still need to run the discovery to add the new ones. 

0 Kudos

Imagine if someone wrote a new feature to email the default address when a new fixed, nfs-net disk, or mount point volume is discovered.

Would save a lot of headaches.

Hmm, I think this could be done through other ways (alert), though. Now that I think about it. 🙂