cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 10

Upgrade to SQL2012 on new server 2012

We need to move our NPM 10.1 (single poller, no additional modules) SQL database from a Windows 2003 server running SQL 2005 to a server running Windows 2012 and SQL 2012.  Our current server does not have enough C: drive space to install SQL 2012.  We would like to start fresh with the SQL 2012 install (i.i.not install SQL 2005) on the new server if possible.

I have read the document "Moving your Orion NPM database", but it does not appear to address moving from one SQL version to another at the same time.

I am looking for the best course of action here, and have searched the forums here but have not happened upon a thread addressing this.  My apologies if it has already been discussed, I would appreciate a link.

Either way, I am looking for advice.

Thanks.

Debbi

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 16

see SQL 2012 Support and Orion Platform based products (i.e., NPM, SAM, etc.)

and also

I think you'll have to upgrade to NPM 10.3.1 or later before the upgrade if you're just moving the database, or 10.4 or later if you're also move to the server.

0 Kudos

OK, I will be on 10.4.1 before the move.

Debbi

0 Kudos

How did your move go? The "Moving your Orion NPM Database" guide remains silent on this aspect.

I am looking to do the same - all my products are at the level that supports SQL 2012. Ideally I could back up the db on my current SQL 2008 server and restore it onto the new SQL 2012. MS seems to indicate that SQL will automagically do the update: Restore a Database Backup (SQL Server Management Studio)

0 Kudos