This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Upgrade to 2019.4 - Pre-flight check errors

Hi,

Have a little issue i'd appreciate some feedback on,

I ran the Orion centralised upgrade wizard for the first time today to prepare for an upgrade to 2019.4 HF4, The process unexpectedly updated the administration service (restarting the module engine service on a number of my APE servers.

After picking the software versions and moving on to the scalability engines test it started throwing errors about product inconsistencies with a couple of APE's (the two that didn't restart the ME) and differences in software between them and the main poller. After rebooting the APE's and main poller the checker is still returning the same result.

Logging in the servers directly i found them all running the same software versions of Admin service and modules and checking numerous tables in the database i can't see what the inconsistency is that the upgrade checker is complaining about.

If i continue to the next step the two servers are not listed so i'm not sure if the upgrade will be a success and was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and can share how they resolved it?

• Do you have Log Analyzer installed? I had a similar problem recently where it triggered this error.

• Nope but i did pick the OLV option when running the checks, may try it without and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks

• The check that you mentioned is verifying the products and components versions, that are installed on main server and APE and compares whether they are the same prior to the upgrade. The best you can do to find the culprit would be to:

1) On the main server check logs from Administration service located here - C:\ProgramData\Solarwinds\Logs\Administration, and look for following entry:

INFO  (null) SolarWinds.Administration.SystemInfoCollector.CurrentSetupInfo - Current Setup:

Below you will find the current set of products/components that were detected by service.

2) Do the same on APE and compare the list.

There are exceptions to the rule that everything should be the same (some products and components should not be present on APE or Additional Website), but this might give you a clue where the problem is. Sometimes the easiest way to solve it, would be to find the difference (I bet it is the case where one of the components is in the different version) and update manually the bad one.

• Thanks,

I'll dig into this further and see what i can find missing, interestingly i actually decommissioned one of the affected engines yesterday. when i run the test this morning i still have two servers reporting differences but one of them was fine previous.

Will continue to investigate but appreciate the feedback.

• Interestingly after comparing the files (going cross eyed doing it) i couldn't find the differences but i did find this.

Running the pre-flight check on the main poller directly came back clean, i was running it from an AWS before and to this day still tells me i have two pollers in an inconsistent state. As the main poller is coming back clean i will run the installer from there.

Once getting past this I ran into another issue in that the OLV installer will only let you put the database on the same SQL server as the main DB, I have two SQL servers and wanted to put the OLV database alongside the flow database.

I don't fancy letting the centralised installer do it's work and then have to re-run the config wizard on each server to get it to the right place emoticons_sad.png