This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Upgrade steps for Orion NPM with remote pollers

We run the following modules on all of our Orion pollers.  Our setup is one NPM main poller and 3 remote pollers.  They all currently have the following versions loaded.

Orion Platform 2013.1.0, SAM 5.5.0, NCM 7.2, NPM 10.5, NTA 3.11.0, IVIM 1.6.0, VNQM 4.0.1

NPM 10.6 is available and so is are modules SAM, NCM, and VNQM.  If we are on the next release down for NPM and all modules, what are the recommended steps for upgrading to these releases.  Im having a hard time sorting through documentation that explains steps needed to do this properly.  I want to make sure I have a source for documented process so I can hand this off to our NOC team to manage.

Ill take a stab but this is what I think.

Shut down all services on main and remote pollers

Upgrade software on main and remote pollers.

Start services on main poller first, then remote pollers.

Or is there a better documented process?

-Glenn

• Glenn,

According to our KB: "Compatibility of SolarWinds Orion Products for Installation and Upgrade", you are good to proceed directly with an upgrade to NPM 10.6 (Orion Platform 2013.2). All your current modules are compatible with Orion Platform 2013.2, so upgrade should proceed as intended, if upgrade your main polling engine first and then follow with your additional/remote polling engines.

You do not need to stop/restart services yourself. The installer and configuration wizard will do that as necessary.

HTH,

Andrew Pacetti

SolarWinds Information Development

• Thanks for your response Andrew. I just need a bit more clarification on the last piece about stop/restart services. On Page 34 of the Solarwinds Orion NPM Administrator guide:

To upgrade Orion Network Performance Monitor:

1. If you are using more than one polling engine to collect network

information, shut down all polling engines before continuing.

So I am attempting this upgrade tomorrow night and I want to be sure I follow all the necessary steps before proceeding. Since we have remote pollers as well you are saying I don't need to following Step 1 in the Admin guide and simply proceed with installing the necessary components and allow the installer to handle the stopping and starting of services correct? So begin with the main poller first (don't shut down remote pollers) and then after the main is upgraded move on to the remote pollers after the main is done and services are back online?

Glenn Thomas

ASP Global Hosting

ADP Dealer Services

• Stopping services manually is a belt-and-suspenders step. You should be OK either way.

HTH,

Andrew Pacetti

SolarWinds Information Development