This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Update, Migrate or keep current

Hi,

We currently have NPM 10.1.2, APM 4.0.2 & IPAM 2.0 installed on a 2008 64bit VM machine.  SQL is on a separate box.

After reading the notes about upgrade APM SP3 it mentions we should be using R2 as the OS.  Is it Ok to keep with the current setup or should I change?

If we do decided to change is it best to just upgrade to 2008 R2 or install a clean image and migrate to it?

Thanks

• DThorne--

I think this is a question for the APM forum. I'm going to move your post there.

M

• Not really... It's a question on should i move to 2008 r2 or stay with 2008.

• If you are running the latest version of APM on Windows Server 2008, you must run Windows Server 2008 R2, as indicated in the Requirements for Orion APM on p.3ff of the SolarWinds Orion APM Administrator Guide:

Operating System

Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008 R2, with IIS in 32‑bit mode.
    IIS must be installed. SolarWinds recommends that Orion administrators have local administrator privileges to ensure full functionality of local Orion tools. Accounts limited to use of the Orion Web Console do not require administrator privileges.
    Notes:
    • SolarWinds does not support production installations of Orion products on Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 systems.
    • If you are installing Orion APM on Windows Server 2003, confirm that your full computer name is no longer than 15 characters in length. Windows Server 2003 trims any characters beyond the fifteenth, and this may prevent Orion services from properly identifiying your Orion server.
    • Orion APM is not supported on Windows Server 2008. For more information, see “Additional Orion APM Requirements”.
    Additional Orion APM Requirements
    Enterprise-level Orion APM deployments with the potential for more than 1000 monitors may need additional computing resources above the standards required for Orion common components:
    Component Monitors
    Additional Requirements
    Up to 1000
    No additional requirements
    More than 1000
    8+ GB RAM

Note: If you are running Windows Server 2008, you must upgrade to Windows Server 2008 R2, because Orion APM does not support Windows Server 2008 due to known WMI issues.