cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Highlighted

Re: Unmanaged Utility - Time Zone query

no bother uniswtc​, happy to help where I can! I unfortunately just don't have too much to offer on this one, I dislike the unmanage scheduler thing. That's why I looped in rschroeder​ and also maybe zackm​ may have some good ideas who else to loop in to help?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

This thread is a little hard to follow; let's recap:

Is the intent to unmanage nodes on the 2nd sunday of the month for X amount of time, no matter where the actual nodes are in the world?

If so, what is the local Orion server time zone, and what are the target node time zones?

Highlighted

I think that's an accurate summary, maybe uniswtc​ can correct if that's wrong.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Hi zackm​,

A device has been scheduled in Unmanaged status for a regular frequency (every month 2nd Sunday for 2 hours duration) via Unmanaged Utility and Task Scheduler. In the task scheduler (triggers tab) we have enabled the Synchronize across time zones. The Orion server is in UTC and as per the CET, adjusted the time in UTC and scheduled.

Today the Day Light Savings changed and now the difference between UTC & CET is 2:00 hours, till yesterday it was 1 hour only. I had kept them in last week, when the 1 hour difference was there.

The question is would it consider the daylight savings and still schedule it as per the CET?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

Got it.

So, when you check the "Synchronize Across Time Zones" option, what that is actually doing (which the GUI is horrible about signifying) is switching your schedule to respect UTC.

When the box is unchecked, the schedule respects the local time of the server the task is running on.

The trouble you're going to have is that, from what I can tell, your local Orion server (where the task runs) is in UTC/GMT, and the target time zone is CET, which has an inherent 1-2 hour difference based on the time of the year.

Ways you might overcome this limitation (I have not tested, just throwing ideas out here):

• Use a script to create an event, then trigger your unmanage task from that event instead of from a time
  • Use the SDK to manage your tasks instead of the unmanage scheduling utility

FWIW, my gut tells me that having the "Synchronize Across Time Zones" option should work for you, but without any testing, I can't say for sure.

Highlighted
Level 12

Hi zackm​, thanks for the details and I understood. Yes, even I wanted to test it before CET DST change, but could not. Last Sunday it has changed . Now, I need to modify the time to UTC as per the current CET and need to test before next DST happens . Is there any time zone, which DST did not take place yet, so that I can test?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

Actually yes!

New Zealand typically switches about a week after everyone else. So they are observing DST on 4/2/2017

Highlighted
Level 12

Thank you zackm​. I will now schedule a device and test before and after 4/2/2017.

Highlighted
Level 15

sounds great! please do come back and share your results with everyone uniswtc​!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

yeah, we're all watching uniswtc