cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 12

Unloading Web Services from Polling Server?

Jump to solution

Our polling server is a little taxed, but our biggest complaint is slowness and page load failures on the website.

I was hoping to achieve some immediate results in performance by moving the web services to another machine with lower resource requirements.

1. Has anybody seen improvements by doing this?

2. How difficult/easy is it to implement?

3. Do I need an additional license?

Thanks in advance~

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Our polling server was getting heavily taxed a while back and we purchased the additional web server to offload that. It did help greatly for a while. Recently though, everything had slowed down and took multiple seconds for the web console to respond to anything. It was almost unusable. Last night, I upgraded to the latest NPM 11.5.3 and everybody is reporting a night/day difference in speed. I would highly suggest upgrading. Slow web console was also called out in the NPM release notes as fixed in the newest core version 2015.1.3.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Our polling server was getting heavily taxed a while back and we purchased the additional web server to offload that. It did help greatly for a while. Recently though, everything had slowed down and took multiple seconds for the web console to respond to anything. It was almost unusable. Last night, I upgraded to the latest NPM 11.5.3 and everybody is reporting a night/day difference in speed. I would highly suggest upgrading. Slow web console was also called out in the NPM release notes as fixed in the newest core version 2015.1.3.

View solution in original post

Level 12

Hey, that sounds like good news! I am still running 2015.1.2 and 11.5.2 so I will also update those.

I am moving forward with adding a web server also.

0 Kudos
Level 16

Try this

Turn off Automatic Root Certificates Update:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. Type gpedit.msc, and then click OK.
  3. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
  4. Click Administrative Templates > click System > click Internet Communication Management > click Internet Communication settings.
  5. Click Turn off Automatic Root Certificates Update > click Enabled > click OK.
  6. Close the Local Group Policy Editor.
0 Kudos
Level 12

Domain Group Policy prevents me from trying this workaround.

0 Kudos
Level 16

My instance have 3000 nodes

There was preformece improvement when  I installed the AWS and forward my traps and syslog away from my main poller ..

Those 2 steps help in my case...

Level 16

Try this

Turn off Automatic Root Certificates Update:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. Type gpedit.msc, and then click OK.
  3. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
  4. Click Administrative Templates > click System > click Internet Communication Management > click Internet Communication settings.
  5. Click Turn off Automatic Root Certificates Update > click Enabled > click OK.
  6. Close the Local Group Policy Editor.
0 Kudos

there is an additional webserver component to move the webUI to a new server -- the license quite cheap ($495 list)

Orion Web Server Engine – increase user access

I've not done this myself, because there has not been a need here.

I would check on your database server load first -- to make sure that is not where your performance problems are coming from.

Level 12

I have ordered the web license. The anticipation is building.

0 Kudos
Level 12

Thanks for the license info.

The db server is fine - unlike the polling server, it was really beefed up.

0 Kudos
Level 16

Hi Jokerfest

The Kiwisyslog and the AWS are the the tools to keep your instance healthy.

The polling engine will do the polling the AWS will off load the web display and if you have too much syslog and traps

so kiwi is just great with forwarding the important stuff to NPM.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SdUJ47f463w

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8u61Faf6maI

0 Kudos
Level 12

Not sure how kiwi will help with website performance?

0 Kudos