This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Unknown interface links should be marked red on map

I've had this issue since 8.X . Why can't NPM treat interfaces in "unknown" state as "down" and mark it red on the map? I have a SPA card on a 7604 which went died. NPM flags the interfaces on this card as "unknown " but on the maps it still stays green.

• Bump! How do I get this as a feature request?

• Can you elaborate on this a little further.  Did the card die?  Wouldn't it be mis-leading to show it as down, that leads one to believe it still is operational?  We don't know the status of it as the device no longer reports it, which is why we show unknown.

• Just to make sure we open the enhancement the right way, in the scenario you describe,

- is the node that support this interface reachable?

- if it is, what is teh status (oper and admin status) of this interface, as retruned by the MIB?

Unreachable and down are 2 very different things.

If it's trully unknown, we should not mark it down and turn it read.

Now, if it's really "dead" and is returned oper/admin=down by the MIB, then we should show it down and not unknown. If we don't, I would consider this a bug rather than an enhamcement request.

• is the node that support this interface reachable?

No.

The timing couldn't be much more perfect, right now I have a site that is down.

The router that supports the interface is powered off because of a power outage. In my map I have "Verizon TLS" and Site "RED" connected by a line. The line gets it's status from the Gi0/0 interface (see attached pic).

It makes sense that it is unreachable because NPM can't poll the router and it's interfaces. But as you can see in the map  should't  NPM/Atlas switch the "line" to another color other than green?

By the way, I appreciate it that you took time to post on this thread.

• OK Gotcha, yes it should, it should become red.  We will log this into the system to look to address.