Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Universal Device Poller Status - chassisId

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I have for quite some time now utilised the Universal Device Poller, MIB Name: OLD-CISCO-CHASSIS-MIB:chassId using OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.3.6.3 to provide the serial number and asset tag of all our switches so that reports can be produced showing all our switches details.

Recently I have noticed that some of them are no longer working. They all have the required snmp strings and appear as active nodes but the UDP just does not work. This also prevents the device from appearing in the generated reoprts.

I have re-checked the poller's status in the Orion Universal Device Poller and it is still Enabled with the Last Change date of 24/10/2011 which was probably when I activated it.

The only difference I can tell between one that is working is the IOS Version. Since we have quite a lot of switches I don't know how many more may or may not be now failing to work.

Working Switch: Cisco IOS Software, C3560E Software (C3560E-UN​IVERSALK9-M), Version 12.2(37)SE, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2) Copyright (c) 1986-2007 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Not Working Switch: Cisco IOS Software, C3560E Software (C3560E-UN​IVERSALK9-M), Version 12.2(52)SE, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3) Copyright (c) 1986-2009 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Can anyone offer any assistance please?

Thanks

Hesh

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 9

Ok, problem fixed everyone!

It would seem that in previous versions of NPM, the "Discovery Central" would automatically find the new device, as per normal, and then allow you to allocate it to its relevant City/Department, etc. The new node was also automatically assigned the relevant poller that was in the default group. As NPM upgrades were performed, and I don't know which upgrade this occurred from, the "Discovery Central" no longer automatically assigns the node to the default group poller. You have to MANUALLY add the relevant poller to the node after discovery. Alternatively, you can open up the main Universal Device Poller and add "All Cisco" devices to the default poller, and like magic they all now appear on the reports.

The SW tech support person advised that they would log a feature request with the programmers to get this looked at. I have no idea why it was removed in the first place, but there you go.

I hope this helps someone else.

Thanks

Hesh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Level 9

Ok, problem fixed everyone!

It would seem that in previous versions of NPM, the "Discovery Central" would automatically find the new device, as per normal, and then allow you to allocate it to its relevant City/Department, etc. The new node was also automatically assigned the relevant poller that was in the default group. As NPM upgrades were performed, and I don't know which upgrade this occurred from, the "Discovery Central" no longer automatically assigns the node to the default group poller. You have to MANUALLY add the relevant poller to the node after discovery. Alternatively, you can open up the main Universal Device Poller and add "All Cisco" devices to the default poller, and like magic they all now appear on the reports.

The SW tech support person advised that they would log a feature request with the programmers to get this looked at. I have no idea why it was removed in the first place, but there you go.

I hope this helps someone else.

Thanks

Hesh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Level 9

Hi Danielle,

No, I have not logged a support case yet. Been really busy doing other things and have not had a chance.

Matthew, I tried running that snmpwalk.exe file and I used the internal IP address it defaulted too (127.0.0.1) as it was running on the server itself and it provided a lot of information that in the end confused the hell out of me. Maybe I need to run it external to the server?

Otherwise I will need to log a support ticket.

Hesh

0 Kudos

I'd recommend using the same IP it's being monitored with in Orion.  If you are ok with attaching the walk of the device I can see what I can find in there for you.

Regards,

Matthew Harvey

0 Kudos
Level 12

The Cisco MIB Browser (a very useful tool on their website) shows that OID as "deprecated", so it sounds like they've removed it from the IOS image somewhere between 12.2(37) and 12.2(52).

You should now be looking at a table that's supplied by the generic MIB-2 OIDs. In particular, 1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.11 gives you the value you a looking for. I've just tried on one of my 2950G switches running 12.1(13) - yes, IOS updates is not one of our strong points - and I can get the same chassis ID number from both of these OIDs. The problem is you're getting a table, so you need to do a little extra work to isolate the value that UnDP returns to you.

Link: http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseOID.do?objectInput=1.3.6.1.4.1.9.3.6.3&translate=Transl...

Supported Images: http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/MIBS/AdvancedSearch?MibSel=4560 (If it works - just gave me a blank screen)

0 Kudos

The problem I have is using the chassId UDP means we get the Asset tag of the device as well as the serial number that we manually entered in on initial installation. This means I get this information by running a report I created that uses the "chassisID" UDP OID to supply the required information. I am trying to utilise this "1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.11" OID but am so far having no success. If I do eventually figure out how this works and it does only supply the serial number then I guess I am screwed as we are then missing vital information ie the asset tag.

Confused.

Hesh

0 Kudos

The ENTITY-MIB above also has an entPhysicalAssetID field in the same table with OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.15

We don't set asset ID information on switches so I can't comment as to whether or not this field will get the same value as manually defined in a Cisco-specific MIB.

0 Kudos

No unfortunately it doesn't, I just tried it. I get another large table of blank entries that serve no purpose. Maybe I need to log a support case?

Hesh

0 Kudos

Hesh,

Something else that may be a benefit to you is using the SNMP walk utility that is part of the Orion NPM installation as of the 10.2 release. This tool is found in the install directory as snmpwalk.exe.  Running this will produce a text file of all OIDs supported by the device.  You can use this to find the OID you are looking for by seeing all supported IDs and the returned values.

Regards,

Matthew Harvey

Loop 1 Systems

http://loop1systems.com

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hesh - Did you open a support ticket for this?  If not, I would recommend doing so.  Please post back here with your ticket # and keep us updated with your progress.

Thanks,

DH

0 Kudos