cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Unexpected Website Error: Insufficient winsock resources available..

Anybody experienced this issue?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Level 12

I had the same issue a while back.  I did the following fixing the issue.

I followed the
following forum to have the sockets increased - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24179552/insufficient-winsock-resources?rq=1

We have set the
following registry values:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\MaxUserPort
= 60000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\TcpTimedWaitDelay
= 30

Unfortunately, I could never determine exactly what caused it.  You have rebooted I take it ?

Had this issue forwarded to SW Support and this is what they found out.

System.InsufficientMemoryException: Insufficient winsock resources available to complete socket connection initiation. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An operation on a socket could not be performed because the system lacked sufficient buffer space or because a queue was full

Possible causes are:
  1. OS runs out of memory for TCP buffers
2. OS runs out of available TCP “ephemeral” ports

Did the recommended similar solution from this KB https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/kb/196271 .

Currently having an issue where the alert page goes blank tabs some of the menu items start to fail intermittently. Restarting SolarWinds services does not work.

Support increased the  socket buffer size and stated this was the cause of the issue and is the permanent fix. Previously they asked to patch using a hotfix but that did not work. I am concerned that this recent fix won't solve the issue. Has anyone has this issue?

any idea on what can be monitored in perfmon to capture winsock memory bottlenecks?

I usually reboot when it happens, and it comes back. I was hoping to find a better fix than editing the registry. What kind of entries are they? DWord?

0 Kudos
Level 17

have you checked into KB articles.  a few say something about expanding your maxTCPPorts or something which the OS natively restricts out of the box, this registry fix permitting you to expand the resources available.

0 Kudos
Level 9

Yes, we are ung SCCM and SCNoification has crashed message also shows up.

0 Kudos

Do a repair/reinstall of .NET 4. I did that on the 8th and haven't had another issue.

0 Kudos

Sadly, the issue has returned for me, even after an upgrade to NPM 12

0 Kudos

Are you using SCCM? I've noticed that usually when I log into the Solarwinds server after getting winsock errors, there's a message up that SCNotification has crashed.

0 Kudos