This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Unable to find subnets from a seed router

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with an issue I am seeing. I'm not sure what I'm missing, but when trying to utilize the seed router option, for the Network Sonar, I enter the router address, and add new SNMP credentials. I test them and they work, easy peasy. When I press the scan router button, I get an error stating that it is unable to find subnets.

The device is a Cisco 4351 ISR...I know it's probably something small, but I'm just not sure what it is.

• So, I have run into the same issue. I have just today installed a demo license of UDT, and need to scan for ports. UDT uses Network Sonar to scan networks.

In Network Sonar, I successfully used a seed router to select subnets, and started that scan. I then tried to use a different seed router to create a new scan. NS now seems unable to find subnets. I have verified SNMP credentials and have used both RO and RW communities. I have tried with different core switches as the seed router (a Nexus, a 3850, a 4510, 1001x). I did notice that all the seed routers that failed were at a remote location. So, I tried a seed router at a location which has an APE to see if the seed router can work on a network local to the APE, nope. I tried another seed router local to the Orion primary poller; that worked fine (it was the mate of the original one I used). I then tried a different local seed router (a WAN router), no dice.

So, I thought, I would select another MLS as a seed router, of the same model as the first one I tried, a Nexus 7010. It worked!. So, I tried a Cat 6500; worked. Tested a Nexus 93180YC; worked. tested a Nexus 9504; worked. Tested a ISR 4431; did not work. Tested an ISR 3945; worked too. Tested a different 3850, no worky.

Any ideas why Network Sonar can use some devices as a seed router, but not Cisco routers/MLS of current models?

• Having same issue with seed routers here on Juniper. 

• Can't seem to find an official doc on what oid's network sonar discovery uses, but I did find the list that IPAM uses, i would hope they are similar.

NameOID
    IpForwarding1.3.6.1.2.1.4.1
    IpRouteDest1.3.6.1.2.1.4.21.1.1
    IpRouteMask1.3.6.1.2.1.4.21.1.11.
    IpCidrRouteDest1.3.6.1.2.1.4.24.4.1.1.
    IpCidrRouteMask1.3.6.1.2.1.4.24.4.1.2
    ipRouteType1.3.6.1.2.1.4.21.1.8
    NexthopAddress1.3.6.1.2.1.4.21.1.7

Probably the best way to actually be sure would be to grab a wireshark capture and launch your discovery to see which ones they are looking for.