Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Highlighted
Level 12

Unable to Execute External Program Alert Action

Jump to solution

I have used the Execute External Program action previously on Win XP and earlier OSs but now have Orion on Win 2003 R2 sp 2 server and although the action appears to work (according to test log) and the command runs fine from CMD box the requested program does not run.

Tried giving Local System account the Allow service to interact with Desktop option and also used an alternative account with full local admin rights.

Still no go

What an I missing?

Has anyone got this running on Win 2003 R2 Sp 2 (or either Win 2008 server or Win 7 - have tried with similar lack of success on these with the eval version)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Unable to Execute External Program Alert Action

Jump to solution

Thanks for the answers guys.

It turns out that the action was being executed only not in the way I was expecting  it to but at least I can focus on the real problem now

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Level 14

Jump to solution

first thing i think of is this, but it could be wrong - in the Program To Execute action did you use the full path name to your program, like: C:\Program Files\DoThis.exe myparameters_here

or even enclose it in quotes "C:\Program Files\DoThis.exe myparameters_here"

these Execute External Program actions are real tricky and finicky for sure.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

Jump to solution

I have to run the Alerting service with a domain service account. Once I did this it works for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

Jump to solution

somewhere along NPM v8 or v9 i remember having to do this too, but i don't any longer. i don't know if maybe an update along the way changed this since now everything is local-system. but maybe it will work for darryl's case.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

Thanks for the answers guys.

It turns out that the action was being executed only not in the way I was expecting  it to but at least I can focus on the real problem now

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Don't suppose you could explain exactly what you did to resolve this. I am having a similar issue

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

Jump to solution

I am not sure how that person resolved it, but I have seen issues with running batch files before because of the NTFS permissions set on cmd.exe.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

well crap..that sucks because I am using plink and it calles cmd.exe when it runs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

Jump to solution

I have just change the permissions on it (that might not be something MS would be happy to hear, but you can do it anyhow).  I just check the inheritable permissions and it works after that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

so you changed the permissions on the cmd.exe file or on the containing folder?

0 Kudos