This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

UnDPs for Tripp Lite Single Phase UPS and PDU products

Hi all,

Based on follow up related to this thread: https://thwack.solarwinds.com/t5/NPM-Discussions/Solarwinds-and-Tripplite-UPS/m-p/141406

I made some UnDPs for Single Phase Tripp Lite UPSes and PDUs with "LX" network management cards (e.g. the WEBCARDLX). These may serve as a good starting point if you're looking to do some additional monitoring of your Tripp Lite devices in NPM.

I'd like to iterate these based on community feedback and requests over time, so let me know what you think. If you would like to see additional models supported or pollers added, don't hesitate to ask.

Disclaimers: I work at Tripp Lite. Treat these like alpha/beta and test and modify as needed before use in production. 

The files: I can't seem to attach the UnDPs here, so I have posted them on GitHub:
https://github.com/dzomaya/SolarWinds_UnDP

Here is a breakdown of what each UnDP was designed to do:

TrippLite_Single_Phase_UPS_Alpha.UnDP

This UnDP monitors:

• tlpAlarmsPresent - Should be 0 normally and > 0 if an alarm condition exists.
  • tlpUpsBatteryStatus- The current status of the UPS batteries (Normal, Low, Depelted, or Unknown)
  • tlpUpsOutputSource- The current source of the UPS output. "Normal" is the standard/ok value. Other possible values include unknown, other, none, bypass, battery, boosting, reducing, second, and economy.
  • tlpUpsInputPhaseVoltage- The input voltage reported with granularity to the tenths place (e.g. 1251 = 125.1 volts)
  • tlpUpsOutputPhaseVoltage- The output voltage reported with granularity to the tenths place (e.g. 1251 = 125.1 volts)
  • tlpUpsOutputLinePercentLoad- The current output load as a percentage of total supported load.
  • tlpUpsOutputLinePower- The current output wattage.

This UnDP also has two "Converted" pollers that transform the input and output voltages to their decimal values. This should make creating graphs a little easier.

TrippLite_Single_Phase_PDU_Alpha.UnDP

This UnDP monitors:

• tlpAlarmsPresent - Should be 0 normally and > 0 if an alarm condition exists.
  • tlpPduInputPhaseVoltage- The input voltage reported with granularity to the tenths place (e.g. 1251 = 125.1 volts)
  • tlpPduOutputPhaseVoltage- The output voltage reported with granularity to the tenths place (e.g. 1251 = 125.1 volts)
  • tlpPduOutputCurrent- The output amperage

This UnDP also has two "Converted" pollers that transform the input and output voltages to their decimal values. This should make creating graphs a little easier.

• Thank you very much for putting the work in on this. i have been hoping to get betting monitoring on all of our UPS, and PDU, which are all Tripp Lite. Do you have any recommendations on the best way to make use of these pollers? I have tried setting up a few widgets but I am unsure which widgets are used to get string returns like "normal" "depleted" etc. 

• It really depends on the use case. I tried to use the 80/20 principle when I created this so we catch the values most users would be interested in.
    I'd say at the least, setting up alerts around AlarmsPresent values could be useful. I'll shoot you a direct message with my contact info so we can discuss further. We can post back here with updates that may be generally useful.

• Side note: if any future readers want to reach out to me directly, feel free to shoot me a direct message or email david_zomaya |AT| tripplite dot com

• Thank you for putting this out there.  This is fantastic work.  Our organization has hundreds of the SU1500RTXL2Ua deployed all of which are using different flavors of the Gen-2 and Gen-3 SNMP WebCard (Poweralert 12.04).  I have had to come up with a a lot of UnDP's over the last decade to support all of them.  We are currently in the process of going back through all our deployed SU1500's and swapping out all of the old SNMP WebCard's with the new LX WebCard.  I know I have stumbled across this post late but in the past I have always used the Device mode to trigger an email message to the technical team when the UPS would switch from 'Utility' to 'Battery' (OID= 1.3.6.1.4.1.850.10.2.3.1.1.7.1.45).  The LX web GUI shows the same thing but I don't see an OID for it that is supported by the LX SNMP WebCard.   Would it be possible to use the 'Output Source'  OID in your example but change some of the text value in the enumeration  table.  Like change 'normal' to Utility?  I pasted a screen shot of the OID I'm after below.

• tlpUpsOutputSource (.1.3.6.1.4.1.850.1.1.3.1.3.3.1.1.1) or even the RFC1628 version upsOutputSource ( .1.3.6.1.2.1.33.1.4.1)  should work for the case of detecting a change from the normal operating mode to battery.

Under normal operation with AC input present, you should get a "3" for Normal. When AC input is lost and the UPS switches to battery mode, you should get a "5" for Battery.

• Thank you for the response.  This is what I am looking for and works great.

• I am curious how you got the above screenshot to show up like this, I assume in Solarwinds. I added the UnDP as provided above, but when I add to a device, and choose the Web Display option I get no "Table" option, only a Graph, which shows no real data. Am I missing something?

• The screenshot in this post is from a WEBCARDLX running 15.x firmware. That said, "no real data" is a problem. Can you elaborate on the details of what data is returned vs what you want to see and what WEBCARDLX version and UPS/PDU you have? 
    Feel free to email me instead if you'd like. david_zomaya | AT | tripplite.com

• Good work  

I wish every manufacturer would run SolarWinds and put in this effort. But I had never even heard of Tripp Lite until today, but having looked at the website I've probably seen/used your products without even knowing it.

• Thanks! 
    There is a lot of overlap between SolarWinds users and Tripp Lite users, so my hope is making integration easier does some good for people. 

Ideally, I'd like to talk to someone at SolarWinds about making this stuff work out of the box when a Tripp Lite device is detected. That makes it even easier.