This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

UnDP Table Count?

I'm very new to NPM.  What I'm trying to create is an alert that will let me know if my VPN tunnel is not complete.  I have created a UnDP that is giving me the raw data to work with it looks like this:

pastedImage_0.png

What I want to do now is count how many rows have the data I'm looking for, for example 4237.21D2 would count 5 in my example above, then have SolarWinds alert me if that count is ever less than 5.  Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thanks!

• This is absolutely something that can be accomplished, but it will require some customization in the alert. I would recommend posting this over in the Alert Lab.

Basically, you're going to need a custom SQL alert that will count the # of times a specific value is provided from the dbo.CustomPollerStatusTable view. It's not that hard, but if you're not comfortable with SQL, you might need a little help.

• Zack,

Thanks for the pointer.  That got me on the right track.  I've gotten the right query written but now I'm wondering how to trigger when that query returns an unexpected result.  Do you know how to compare the return value in the query to create a trigger condition?

pastedImage_0.png

• Put a 'HAVING' clause on the end of that.

HAVING (Transact-SQL)

• My earlier post was in Alert Manager on the server, which it looks like to me is not the right place to try this?  This is my attempt using the Web Interface.  I tried adding HAVING to this but keep getting query condition is invalid if I try that.

pastedImage_0.png

• you need to do something like this:

select stuff
    from tableA

-----------------

join

(select count(1), b.key

from tableB

where b.column = "string"

group by b.key

having count(1) > 5

) x on x.key = tableA.key

• Getting closer, zackm.  Your help has been awesome so far.

Here's the query you gave me inside the Join above.  Works perfectly in Orion Database Manager when not inside a Join.  Returns a row when the value matches the count I am expecting, 20:

pastedImage_0.png

Next, here is the Join when setting up the custom alert.  Works good to this point:

pastedImage_2.png

However, as soon as I add the Count function, the Validation fails:

pastedImage_3.png

Since the syntax checks out in the Database Manager, is there something missing in the SQL alert configuration that doesn't allow the Count function?

• I attempted your query and it did work, but the moment I added the Pre-SQL that the Alert includes, it does fail because count needs to be tied to a column to count.

So I looked into your alert and I figured out is that the Current Alerting system you are supposed to Select Custom Table Poller Current Status. This SWQL Table has the column status that you need to filter, however the dropdown does not have Status as a selectable field, but it can be done. The Alerts have the hamburger menu option to show the SWQL Queries when I was limited in the Alert Dropdowns. Then I used SWQL Studio to find all of the information.

alert.png

All you need to do is change I want to ALert on to the bottom to select Custom SWQL, then use Custom Table Poller Current Status. I then added Status= the result.

This is the full SWQL View that you can leverage:

SELECT CustomPollerAssignmentID, CompressedRowID, RowLabel, AssignmentName, CustomPollerID, NodeID, DateTime, Rate, Total, RawStatus, Status, Description, RowStatus, RowID, DetailsUrl, DisplayName, InstanceType, Uri

FROM Orion.NPM.CustomPollerStatusOnNodeTabular

As I mentioned the Drop down only has a few options: Current Numeric Value, Current Value, Date Time, Display Name, Rate, Row ID, Row Label, Row Status, Total.

I needed to setup an Alert due to one of my RAID arrays falling into a Degraded state. So I have Custom Node Poller to pull this information.

I saved my Alert as above and I just got an E-Mail that my FreeNAS RAID Array is now degraded.

• I am out the rest of the week, but will try this early next week and let you know the results.  I had considered that table but wasn't clear on how to use it.

• The only thing I needed to add to the answer marked as correct was a column name for count.  Some SQL query tools will work without that but not SolarWinds Custom SQL Poller so below is what worked:

select stuff
    from tableA

-----------------

join

(select count(1) as ColumnName, b.key

from tableB

where b.column = "string"

group by b.key

having count(1) > 5

) x on x.key = tableA.key