This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Ubuntu disk space monitoring with snmpd?

So I've installed snmpd on an Ubuntu host and was able to change the monitoring to SNMP/ICMP.  It is able to poll my box with the provided community string, but any metrics such as cpu/memory/disk space are just not there.

I've tried to rediscover, force a new poll, list resources and check for new items to monitor, but nothing appears to be working.

Is there a special way that Solarwinds wants things set up in the /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file so that it can poll the disk usage correctly?

Thanks for any advice!

• I've done many installs on other distros but not Ubuntu so maybe there is something peculiar about the net-snmp they included.  It usually finds the stats and disks and such same as you would see on a windows server or switch, nothing special normally needs to be done.  Hopefully someone with Ubunto specific experience can weigh in.

• I believe that there is a bit of configuration within snmpd.

• We're about to go down this road with Ubuntu and CentOS, ditching RHEL. My bet is that your configuration of SNMP on that server isn't open enough. You might have the MIB view restricted.  I'd dump your current default config and configure it from scratch.

• Have you considered installing the Orion Linux Agent? it's not dependant upon SNMP for these metrics.

• Here is the default snmpd.conf file we use:

###########################################

# snmpd.conf

###########################################

#Access control

#1.Community strings into Security Name

#sec.name                source comm-string

com2sec notConfigUser default        <community-string>

#2.Security name to Group

group notConfigGroup v1 notConfigUser

group notConfigGroup v2c notConfigUser

#3.Views

view systemview included .1.3.6.1.2

view all included .1

#4.Grant views

# Group Context sec.model sec.level prefix read write notif

#access notConfigUser "" any noauth exact systemview none none

access notConfigUser "" any noauth exact all none none

#5. Grant Access

# Group Context sec.model sec.level prefix read write notif

access notConfigGroup "" any noauth exact all none none

#Logging

dontLogTCPWrappersConnects yes

#System information

syslocation <somewhere nice I hope>

sysContact <system contact email>

Change the bits within the parenthesis "<blah>",  to suit your environment.

I hope it helps.

• Remove or comment out this line, restart the SNMP daemon and try again.

view systemview included .1.3.6.1.2