cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pjcarter12
Level 7

Two Orion Installations connecting to the same Database?

We have an Orion 10.1 installation running on a legacy server.  We need to test some new features and and ultimately upgrade to the latest version or Orion and NPM on a new server (The SQL database is hosted on a separate machine).

Is it possible to install the latest Orion (licensed) on the new server and connect to the existing SQL database while testing and validating?  After validation, the existing Orion server and instance would be retired.

What are the risks and/or issues with this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
mcbridea
Level 19

Re: Two Orion Installations connecting to the same Database?

Yes, just be sure to choose a new database in the config wizard and give it a unique name. Depending on how many elements you have you might bog down the SQL server. Check the SQL server health first.

http://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/Orion/docs/OrionPerformance.pdf

0 Kudos
pjcarter12
Level 7

Andy

I wanted to be sure I understood your answer correctly.  I CAN connect a new instance of Orion on a new server to the existing SQL database WHILE the old Orion instance is running.  Is this correct?

SQL performance isn't an issue (the SQL team gets more funding than we do and the cluster is ridiculously powered)

0 Kudos
MTorok
Level 14

pjcarter12,

We would not support having 2 NPM servers writing to the same database. You will have many many issues.

I think Andy was thinking you were creating a new database on the same database server. That would be fine. Using the same DB for 2 servers actively collecting would not.

Michael

0 Kudos
mcbridea
Level 19

Yes, what you will be doing is creating a new and uniquely named database on the same SQL server. We do this all the time. Just use a unique name (not the default name) for the new db.

0 Kudos
tomas.mrkvicka
Level 10

I am not sure if it is what you want, but you could create clone of your actual database and new NPM installation could be run against cloned database. Of course original database and cloned database won't be related in any way.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
njoylif
Level 17

This is what I've done in the past to test new versions RCs and betas without having to re-add a bunch of junk.  then I just delete a good bit of the environment if needed for load.

keep it on the same DATABASE SERVER but copy to different name like NetPerfMonBETA or something.

you can not have two implementations talking to the same database (like netperfmon) as it will have troubles with primary poller, who is polling what, data overwritten, etc..  general chaos.

0 Kudos