This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Traps and TrapVarbinds Tables

Hello,

I am seeing the following messages for the Traps and TrapVarbinds tables in the web console for Solarwinds NPM:

TrapVarbinds reached 35603018 rows, which is above warning threshold of 5000000.

Traps reached 6348226 rows, which is above warning threshold of 1000000.

I found a Solarwinds KB article that suggests using the following query against the TrapVarbinds table:

Delete from TrapVarBinds where TrapID not in (select TrapID from Traps)

If i go ahead and delete some old trap entries from the Traps table, does this mean that i should note down the Trap IDs for the entries i am removing?

I presume that i would have to enter these Trap IDs into the query above to remove them from the TrapVarbinds table.

Wondering if someone could confirm this for me.

Thanks,

Taran

• I wouldn't bother noting the trap IDs.  If you were going to do that for records or such you would archive them out somehow.  This basically removes [orphaned] data from TrapVarBinds table where there is no related trap id in the Traps table.

you don't have to do anything but run the query.  the subquery in () gets the list and feeds to main query.

• Ah, that definitely saves me from unnecessary work.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Regards,

Taran Gill

233 Mayland Place NE | CALGARY, AB T2E 7Z8

D: 1-866-816-4510 | O: 403-735-6330 | F: 403-735-6335

www.comtech.ca<http://www.comtech.ca/>

• Also note that the query will only remove any trap details from the TrapsVarBinds if the trap ID does not exist in the Traps table.

If you are receiving a large number of traps, you will continue to see these messages. If you have trap retention still set to the default 7 days, you are receiving almost 900,000 traps a day. On a Summary page, you can add the Traps Summary resource and it will tell you how many traps you have received by trap type, IP address, hostname, or machine type. This will allow you to narrow down what devices are sending the majority of traps and what traps they are. From there, you can determine if you still need these traps or disable them.

pastedImage_0.png

• Thanks.

I will implement this when I get a chance.

Taran Gill

233 Mayland Place NE | CALGARY, AB T2E 7Z8

D: 1-866-816-4510 | O: 403-735-6330 | F: 403-735-6335

www.comtech.ca<http://www.comtech.ca/>