This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Trap Viewing - Change column or message

Is there a way to change the Columns or messages shown in the TRAP view or Message center?

Currently it show the time, ip address, hostname, Community, Trap type, trap message.  The traps message filed has all the variables sent in the trap and unless you know what you are looking at its hard form some to decipher the trap.  For example we would like to just display the the variable in line 3 for a certain trap type.  Sort of like ${vbData3} in an email message.  Without all the other information.

This is on the Web console view as well.

• Can't alter the message center page however..I've done something similar and created a report formatted the way I wanted and then linked to that.  Trade off is unlike message center it's not dynamic and I can't just filter down to one node or search.

• This might help with a style for the NOC to see whats going on.  Do not need allot of functionality for what I am looking for.  Can you share how you made this report?  I have been trying and can not pull a report from traps.

Thanks

• So sitting here thinking how would you only show one vbdata variable and I couldn't figure out a query to do so.  So instead I came up with a different idea.  Why not add a trap action of writing a custom event to your NPM event log.  As you already stated you can make the emails state whatever you want you would be able to do the same with the event log.  This would give you best of both worlds.  You would have your custom formatted trap and could display it in message center and use the built in filtering and search capabilities.

This is a reason I really enjoy this community.  Trying to help come up with a method I end up thinking of an entirely new way to do something in our own environment for those critical traps I want better eyes on.

• That would work to but the only choice I see is to write to the Windows event log not to the NPM event log.

• Are you kidding me?  I know that traps are something being fixed but how is that not an option.  I thought of that at lunch and was looking forward to turning it up when I got back to my desk.

• I think it does not exist since it can show up in the message center.

• Also just realized you are unable to acknowledge a trap as well in the trap view or message center.

This is a big problem for us.