This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Totalt printed pages sorted by location

Hi, i have created a universal device poller and assign it to a printer node. It works, and shows me the page counter on black/White and color. What i whould like to do now is to devide the printers in to locations and add the page counter for each printer within a location and show the result of total page count for each location in some kind of dashboard. Any tip? I am fairy new to orion in general.

I can add that i used Paessler snmp tester
To find then following MIB/OID. This is for Canon iR ADV.

101 (Total) - 1.3.6.1.4.1.1602.1.11.1.3.1.4.101

112 Total (Black and White/Large) - 1.3.6.1.4.1.1602.1.11.1.3.1.4.112

113 Total (BW/Small) - 1.3.6.1.4.1.1602.1.11.1.3.1.4.113

122 Total (Full Color + Single / large) 1.3.6.1.4.1.1602.1.11.1.3.1.4.122

123 Total Full Color + Single/Small) 1.3.6.1.4.1.1602.1.11.1.3.1.4.123

501 Scan - 1.3.6.1.4.1.1602.1.11.1.3.1.4.501
  • One way to start is by accessing the information about each printer's location.  Did anyone create that info within the printer in a place that you or Solarwinds can leverage it for reports or displays?

One intuitive method is to name the printer with some indicator of its location.  I've named network nodes (for management and reporting purposes) in the past using a format like N-MN-MKT-BLD1-RM231-PRNT01.  It breaks down as:

N: North Region

MN: Minnesota

MKT:  Mankato (city name)

BLD1:  Building #1 (you could use the specific unique building name to make the printer intuitive)

RM231:  The room in which the printer is installed

PRNT01:  Useful to differentiate between multiple printers in one room

You might also enter similar site location information within the printer's Comments or Notes field, or within a Location field, depending on what capabilities it has for this.

These kinds of info fields will allow you to easily display printers by location and build reports.  But you might also leverage info already present in your I.S. Department's technical documentation if your Printer Technicians' Group has already built a spreadsheet showing where each printer is, and what its name is.  If they'd share that with you, you could associate the data with network nodes your Solarwinds NPM has discovered, and build a display page or a report to show the info you want.

Or, your Printer Techs may be using an outside third-party solution to track printer resources like toner or colored ink, and the printers might already be reporting that information to that outside vendor.  That outside vendor may already have the exact information you need, and might even already be tracking & reporting on it, or at least have the info ready to send as reports, with a simple request.

This should get you started.  My last employer's Printer Group managed about 4000 network printers, and relied on snmp to tell them which printers needed which specific ink parts or paper supply refreshment.  The printer techs eventually outsourced everything to a company that leveraged the Location or Printer Name (associated with a site and room number) to automatically order toner when it was low, and build a request for the right ink or toner cartridges that the folks responsible for those printers could turn into a Purchase Order.

Give it a little research, see what your printers might already have set up, or what their capabilities are.  You can import a lot of data into NPM if you have it in the correct CSV format, and the Software Developers' Kit (SDK) has loads of importing and data massaging power if you're familiar with SQL or the Solarwinds variant called SWQL.

Good luck, and have Swift Packets!

Rick Schroeder

• Thank you for the reply Rick and sorry for the delay. We have a system in place to identify like you said location, floor number and room.
    So that part is taken care of. What i whold like todo now is to create a view that shows me the total number of pages printed for each location. So i need some kind of way to add the numbers for each printer into one totalt pr location. if that makes sense?

• I don't have any custom pollers to test with currently but in theory you could:

1. Create a new report
    2. Add a Custom Table
    3. Report on a Custom Node Poller and use the unique name for your total pages custom poller
    4. Add the following columns:
      1. Custom Node Poller > Custom Poller Current Stats > Current Numerical Value
      2. Node > Node Custom Properties > SiteName (or whatever your custom property is called)
    5. Expand the Advanced menu for the custom poller column and change the Data Aggregation to Count.
    6. Finish creating the report

shuth_0-1598881567005.png

shuth_1-1598881638410.png

shuth_2-1598881720097.png

shuth_3-1598881774920.png

• Thanks alot. It works now i only have to do some work with presenting the data in a nice way