This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Topology: Layer 2 Poller

After upgrading to 10.2, I've noticed that the Layer 2 poller is missing from some seemingly random devices. How does NPM determine which pollers to apply to which devices and how I can I manually add them if NPM doesn't?

I would love to know how these pollers work because when they're running against a device, they seem to work really well. I've gotten a few topology results that are odd though. I would appreciate a write-up of how they work so I can troubleshoot them.

• Topology Layer 2 is assigned to devices which provide OID

dot1qTpFdbPort = "1.3.6.1.2.1.17.7.1.2.2.1.2"
    or
    dot1dBasePort = "1.3.6.1.2.1.17.1.4.1.1"

Can you see pollers assigned in "List Resources" on suspected node? If so and you still can't see results, maybe it's because topology on this device takes longer than expected. In that case please open a support ticket and we will help you to resolve it.

thanks

• Thanks for the tip. The Layer 2 poller doesn't show up under "List Resources".

Interestingly, with the same version of code on a 3750G-12S vs a 3750-48TS, one supports those OIDs and the other does not. I tested this with snmpwalk. We have 3750G-12Ss with newer code that support dot1dBasePort. Fortunately we are in the process of evaluating newer code for our switches and will add this to the list of requirements.

Again, thanks for your help.