This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Thin client AP's not showing up in the Nodes with problems displays

So I have had this problem since the wireless module was integrated into the main NPM product.  I have Cisco AP's, both thin and thick clients.  Only the thick client AP's show up in the nodes with problems display.  I can Orion to trigger down and up alerts on the thin client APs, but the down event never shows up in the nodes with problems.  I have opened numerous trouble tickets on this issue and sent many diagnostic files and the issue seems to die on the vine with support.  Since this isse spans multiple versions of Orion, it appears to me the problem is with in Orion and not a configuration problem.  Does any one else have this issue?  I'm currently running NPM 10.1.1 with the latest hotfix

• I believe the root cause of the issue is that thin APs are not managed nodes in Orion NPM. You may want to configure an advanced alert for your APs a leverage the All Triggered Alerts resource instead of the Nodes with Problems resource. 

• I've pretty much known that was the answer all the time.  I'm trying to play devils advocate here because Solarwinds support won't come out and say that.  While I appreciate you responding, I actually want some one from Solarwinds to admit that is the case.  In addition if they can trigger an alert for a down thin AP by detecting it off the associated wireless controller why can't that same information be pushed to the table support Nodes with problems?  I've go over 1000 AP's in my network with 80% as thin client and the other 20% will be converted this year.  As it stands right now the wireless module basically functions as a stand alone module with the exception of alerting.  

• Just a question, if I could.. The canned AP Alerts doesnt seem to allow a trigger based on the associated Controller name! Do you know how I could do this?

How can I write an alert to sent to a specific group based on the asscoiated controller name, when an AP goes down.

I see the macro "${Controller}", but when constructing the alert there are only stats available when you choose a trigger type of wireless controller.

• Just a question, if I could.. The canned AP Alerts doesnt seem to allow a trigger based on the associated Controller name! Do you know how I could do this?

How can I write an alert to sent to a specific group based on the asscoiated controller name, when an AP goes down.

I see the macro "${Controller}", but when constructing the alert there are only stats available when you choose a trigger type of wireless controller.