This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Tcp port monitoring with NPM

Hi,

I was asked to monitor the status of  about 400 TCP ports.And currently we have only NPM and NTA without SAM or APM.

I tried to do this by using the netpath.Howerver i found i can only create 20 paths per probe and 100 paths per polling engine.

Could somebody have a good solution with this?

And if we install SAM,can we mornitor 400 TCP ports? what is the maximum of ports can be monitored with SAM?

Thanks in advance.

• Yeah SAM is really the best tool for the job. Attempting to monitor 400 tcp ports with NetPath is a waste of resources and a lot of overhead... not easy to alert on either. It’s meant to analyze and trend the network path to an endpoint tcp port.

SAM on the other hand you could use a simple tcp port check component. The amount you can do comes down to the license count you get (node based or component based...) But what may come into consideration though, is that 400 tcp ports on one server or 1 tcp port on 400 servers, or 400 tcp ports on multiple servers? That would influence the license count you would need.

Hope this helps and good luck!!
  • Thanks.

Actually we have 400 ports on multiple servers.

And could APM only do the same job like SAM?

i just checked with my boss we have only APM, not the SAM bundle.

• APM is just the old name for SAM.