This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

TIP: Last Poll Time in the Past

Since I have seen several posts regarding last poll data being stale in recent days I figured I would post what I did to help keep my team on top of this problem.

I didn't have the budget to give me the beast of a SQL server that is truly needed to handle polling of 18000 elements so I would often run into issues with polling data lagging behind.  There are several posts about how to correct this issue when you find it so I'm not going to address that this is more to help you stay on top of this issue and identify the lag when it is say 30 minutes in the past and not 2 days.

I created a very simple report in which I chose one node that I considered stable (usually something within the same network as Solarwinds) on each polling engine. 

The report consisted of 4 items.

Node Name, Polling Engine, Last poll time, last database update

This report was then added to the main Solarwinds page that we had displayed on our NOC and the main page for the user views so that it was always in front of my team.  This helped myself and members of my team to see this information and notice any potential lags and get them resolved before we had a real problem on our hands.

Like I said this isn't a fix for this problem or a cure for an overwhelmed polling environment but if you have this issue on a regular basis like I did it allows you to stay on top of it and correct before you have a major issue.  Purging 30 minutes of data from your queues is much more acceptable then losing 2 days worth.

Mike.

• Could you please share that report? I'm interested in knowing which nodes haven't polled in some time. Thanks.

Ed

• I have uploaded the report to the content exchange.  Here is the link.

• Excellent, mdriskell!  Thank you for sharing this with the community.  Would you consider also adding this to the Tips & Tidbits forum?

Thanks!
    DH

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Hi

Nice report

I also wanted to add to this i created 3 alerts for monitoring the polling

################################

Polling engine has to many elements in database ( From experience Orion does not like polling more than 8000 elements per poller, so its just a threshold, but this is IMHO):

Table:

Engines

Trigger:

Select Engines.EngineID AS NetobjectID, Engines.ServerName AS Name

FROM Engines WHERE Engines.Elements >= 8000

Trigger Action:

Create an event in the NetPerfMon log

Poller ${ServerName} has to many managed elements ${Elements} in the database

#######################################

Polling engine is down:

Trigger:

FROM Engines WHERE KeepAlive <= dateadd(mi,+5,getdate())

Trigger Action:

Poller ${ServerName} has not been running since ${KeepAlive}

##########################################

Polling engine polling completion <= 95.00 %

Trigger:

FROM Engines WHERE Engines.PollingCompletion <= '95.00'

Trigger Action:

Poller ${ServerName} has a completion time of ${PollingCompletion} please investigate

#################################################

Kind Regards

James

• Can you please let us know how to upload this report in Solarwinds main page please?

• All you need to do is edit your current page and add in the "Report from Orion Report Writer" resource and save that.

Then you see this on your page

pastedImage_0.png

Then click on Select a report and find the report you wish to see in this view.

That's it emoticons_happy.png

• Hi, Thanks for the report. Could anybody guide me on how to upload this report and create a page in Solarwinds so that Our NOC team can view this report . When I try to import this report I am getting the following error .

pastedImage_0.png