This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

System Name vs. DNS name

Can anyone tell me how to track down which DNS server is providing the DNS entry on the Node details tab?  I have a firewall that has an incorrect entry for DNS in NPM, but I can't find the incorrect info on any of my DNS servers.  Normally it wouldn't be an issue, but the Syslog tab uses the DNS name instead of the System Name.  I'm using NPM 10.4.

Node Details.jpg

• It would be whatever DNS server is configured for resolution on your NPM server.  It's quite possible that it's just an old entry in the database.  If that's the case, and it's been a long time since the name of the server has changed and it's still not refreshing, you could go into the DB manager and remove the offending 'DNS' name manually.  This would force the NPM server to repopulate it with the correct entry.

• Thanks.  Going in through DB Manager worked.

• My issue is when I go into the database manager and remove the incorrect DNS entry, it comes back.  There are no DNS entries for this switch in any of our DNS servers.  I am working on Cisco switches by the way.

I found two tables that have DNS fields.  There may be more.  I found the NodesOLD table and the NodesData table.  I removed the incorrect DNS entry from both tables.  I then look at the node in Solarwinds.  The DNS field is blank for about three minutes, then it is filled in again with the incorrect data.