This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Syslog viewer Timeout

Hi

is there a way to extend the timeout setting in the Syslog Viewer app? I have a device that was chucking out a lot of log messages and I am unable to search back to see when the device started sending out the messages.

I have put in specific dates and times to narrow my search, tried adjusting the max displayed messages from 10 to 100,000 but it continues tho time out, no matter what I do I cannot get any log message from the database before today. The device has sent about 1.5million messages since Sat. It's a lot but I've had devices send out a million every half hour and the Syslog Viewer was able to handle that no problem.

And my Syslog table isn't huge either the Table is 1.4GB with indexing space of 1.1GB.   

Any suggestions?

Regards

• Are you sure that your Syslog isn't configured to retain messages for only 1 day?

• No the Syslog Table has a 2 week life span. This timeout issue was specific to 1 or 2 devices. I knew the messages were there because I could view them by manually entering SQL search quearies into the database manager, that was my work around.

The fix was to edit the SWNetperfMon.db file, changing the connection and command  timeouts to 1200.

The file is located in C:\Program Files\Solarwinds\Orion\SWNetperfMon.db

'Always make a backup copy of the file first.'

Should have updated sooner, apologies.

P.S

Just have a further update here about an alternative solution. We had a situation recently where a user looking for debug messages using the syslog viewer in the web console, changed the number in the 'show XX messages' to 1 million.

Not surprisingly changing  the syslog page time out value as mentioned above didn't work and because the page doesn't load, there's no way to change the value in the 'show XX messages'  to something smaller.

If you find yourself in a similar situation you can set this value to something smaller using the database manager as follows:

- Open the database manager on you Orion NPM server 

- expand your NPM database

- Query the table 'WebUserSettings' (should be the last table in the list) Rightmouse click to query.

- Within the table should be 3 column headings 'AccountID - SettingName - SettingValue'. find the account name/ID of the user that is experiencing the issue. Scroll down to the row that applies to the user and that contains the name 'Web-SyslogMaxMsgPerPage'.

- Change the radio button settings at the top of the window from read only to read write.

- Change the 'SettingValue' in this row to something small eg 100 - 1000 etc. Hit return

providing your issue was what was explained above you should now be able to load the syslog viewer page fo the specified account in the web console.