This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Switching from ICMP to SNMP polling and vice versa without having to remove the node

Currently the only way to change node polling from ICMP to SNMP polling or from SNMP to ICMP polling is to remove the node and re-add it.  Doing this we lose all historical data.  Can we have a way to switch them without having to remove the node?

Often a device is setup but SNMP is not or new product release provide reason to know poll SNMP.  On the contrary, sometimes a device will be polled SNMP and we no longer feel it is necessary to do so or it is no longer supported such as switching from WAP to LWAP...

• Has anyone had an opportunity to take a look at this??

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to AMSW

We have taken note of your feature request.  But I want to appropriately set expectations on how quickly we can make a decision.  You posted this in February.  Features are considered for major releases, not service packs.  The current release has been in the works since early October, and at this point, we're just wrapping up and testing.  So we can't do anything with it until after the next release ships, which is still a little ways away.  The soonest it can appear is the release after next.  I realize that's not the answer you're looking for, but those are the realistic timeframes we work with for a product as sizable as Orion.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Let me correct myself.  In the next release, we *will* be able to go from ICMP to SNMP without losing data.  That was already on the train. 

Can you explain when you'd want to go from SNMP to ICMP?  Is that really a key use case?

• Thank you for your response and explaination.  One example for going from SNMP to ICMP would be that we have been experienced would be that we have been moving out our SNMP monitored APs to non-SNMP supported LWAPs....

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to AMSW

Interesting use case.  We may have a different solution for that case, but I can't say anything just yet.  What else?

• Hi Denny,

Switching from icmp to snmp would be very useful!! another example of why is as follows;

When you start to map out your network, often devices aren't configured for snmp and you’ve just not got time to reconfigure all of them there and then.  You just want to add everything to initially monitor if they are up or down, plus start to build your maps.

As AMSW rightly says, when you delete an icmp node you lose all the response time, availability history, plus the link to the node disappears off any maps!

So it’s very annoying losing the history, but also annoying having to re-edit the maps and re-link the nodes. Its just duplication of effort, which nobody likes!

Kind regards,

Andy.

• By accident I discovered a workaround. Simply add the node again without first deleting it.

History is still there and I haven't seen any negative impacts yet.

• Thanks for that, I'll give that a go!, as I also found out (obvious when you think you're actually deleting a node) it removes the node from alerts you had setup too!!

• I would also like to have the ability to change from SNMP monitoring to ICMP only.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to DirtySouth

I would also like to have the ability to change from SNMP monitoring to ICMP only.

We heard this once before, but we could never get details on the usage scenario?  Could you explain the use case that leads you to need to do this?