This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Supress interface up/down notifications

Did have a search to find the answer thinking I couldn't be the only one who wants to supress the hundreds of these we have every day when people turn off their PCs!  I have removed linkup/down traps from snmp settings on switches, but assume NPM is reporting on their status.  I would also imagine that syslog is perhaps reporting this condition too, but suspect there is little we can do about that due to the "notification" setting needed for NCM RTCD.

We have decided that we don't want to know the status of a port when it has changed due to the end device turning on on off, but would still like to know if it has error disabled or admin shutdown etc.  We also don't want to lose any interface performance stats.  However, we may want to monitor certain ports that are perhaps in an etherchannel or load balancing config, so would be good if we could perhaps select specific interfaces.

Is it possible to simply stop linkup/down alerts from being logged?  Ive checked "Manage Alerts" in Solarwinds Orion, Alerting section, but cannot see anything to unselect here.

• This one is actually really easy. From the Manage Nodes screen, select the interfaces in question, Edit Properties, and check the box for "Display interface as unplugged rather than down" for any interface where you don't care about up/down.

Make sure any alerts that report on an interface "Not up" also have "not unplugged" as well.

unplugged.png

• If they are unplugged, does this no infer that they are simply down and will not be monitored for statistical info?

Selecting individual interfaces on nearly 400 switches could be tedious!  It seems theres also no hierarchical selection, thinking If I select the parent device, all interfaces would also be selected, so I could then deselect the ones I wanted to keep....

• "Unplugged" basically tells Orion that when the interface is down, assume that you expect that the interface will go up and down, and don't care to be alerted if it does. Then, if the poller detects that the interface is down, it will change the status to "Unplugged" rather than "Down". This will not trigger alerts based on Interface Down and will not turn the substatus red on maps or status screens. Other than that, the interface is monitored as any other (for errors, etc).

It will involve a bit of work to set this up if you haven't done this from the beginning, but it's probably not quite as bad as you think. If you don't care to monitor the vast majority of your interfaces for Up/Down, you could save some time by going to the Node Management screen, changing the view from Nodes to Interfaces, changing the setting for everything, and then changing back what you do care about. The search function is quite powerful and can also be helpful here.

• EXCELLENT!  Thanks for the tip.. that made it much easier, and was able to filter out uplink ports more easily....

Cheers!

• Is there some way to do this 'en mass' ? - I have around 8,000 ports which at random times I do need to know historic traffic, but i don't need to know when they go up/down. At the same time I specifically don't want to set this on every single port I'm monitoring. Is there some way to set this on 'every port for a device' or some such?

• When i asked this same question during our orion implementation, they said there is no way to enable this massively.
    I then came to the conclusion that orion is not meant to monitor every switchport on every switch (we have many thousands).

It mentions this is the startup/admin guide somewhere.

You will probably have to go through every switchport and manually set it to "unplugged".

I couldn't even find a way to select all or multiple interfaces without a click of EVERY interface/box.

• There's a few threads around here that talk about SQL editing, but I think the interface view and grouping is the cleanest way. I can't see if there are templates that know what interfaces you would treat as physically pluggable.

• If you select Interfaces in managed nodes, you could use the select all button. And limit the number displayed as you see fit. Some will still need to be done individually though.

pastedImage_0.png