This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Suppress alerts for members of a group

Hey everyone!

Is there an easy way to suppress alerts for dedicated nodes without fiddling around with the alert itself?

Situation is as follows: I want to be alerted when most of my nodes are going into warning, critical or error state. But for some of them I want to disable the alert email between 20 pm and 7 am and on weekends.

It is possible to set the custom properties, e.g. the comment field and suppress alerts based on the contents of this comment field, but I find this to be very cumbersome and strange. I'd really like to set up a group "Disable nightly alerts" where I can move all the nodes I don't want to get nightly alerts.. Is something like that possible?

Regards

Alex

• It should be easy enough to

1. set up a custom field "night_mute" (a yes/no) field
    2. mark the servers you want quiet at night as "yes" for that field
    3. Create two alerts
      1. AlertA has a time limitation 7am to 20pm M-F, and otherwise triggers for all devices
      2. AlertB has a time limitation of 20pm (or 20:01pm) to 7am (or 6:59am) M-F and Sat and Sun, and includes an additional simple condition of "night_mute is not equal to yes"
  • Hey adatole!

Thanks very much for this detailed description.

Is there any other way to do this?

Regards

Alex

• I'm trying to do the same thing and I'm trying to avoid going down the custom sql path (in the alert).  Maybe we can build upon adatole's suggestion and schedule a job to automatically update the Node's custom field from the group data.  The update sql looks like this:

/* Set all values to NO */

UPDATE Nodes
      SET Mute_Night_Alerts = 0
      FROM Nodes npm

/* Set Nodes to Yes if they are a member of the samMuteNightAlerts group */

UPDATE Nodes
      SET Mute_Night_Alerts = 1 /* True*/
      FROM     APM_Application app
      LEFT JOIN Nodes npm ON npm.Nodeid = app.nodeid
      LEFT JOIN Containers_AlertsAndReportsData car ON car.GroupMemberFullName = app.name + ' on ' + npm.caption
      WHERE car.GroupName = 'samMuteNightAlerts'

select 'Update complete.  ', @@ROWCOUNT, ' rows updated.'

To answer the question below, by using a group, the members can be dynamic.  In my case, I am choosing nodes that have applications that contain MSSQL or Oracle in their names.  These servers run at high CPU levels, especially at night when we schedule special jobs to maintain the databases.  So, when a new application monitor is added, they will automatically be added to the samMuteNightAlerts group, then the night job will set the node flag to mute the night alerts, which will skip the High CPU Load alert.

Hmm.. I wonder if being able to add a custom SQL (in the suppress alert section) but not the trigger would be simplier.  Or, the ability to add a table into the trigger without having to switch to a custom query.

• yes, but you have to say why you don't like 's solution, because that's the easiest way I can think of doing this..